Sick Fish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigguppy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a black fancy goldfish a week ago and put it in my tank with my other goldfishes. 4 days after I got him, I noticed that the Amonia level was getting high in my tank, so i decided to invest in a power bio-filter. I added some solution to the filter to reduce the amonia. The next day, the Amonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph levels were normal, but i notice my fish is constantly laying at the bottom of the tank. Lays on the bottom for a couple of minutes, swin around the tanks and goes back to the bottom again. When i tapped the glass or open the hood to make sure he is fine, he starts swimming....Do you think the fish caught amonia diseased or is fine??? if he is sick, what can i do???? thanks...

Moved to the Uhealthy Fish Forum.

Have you done water changes? What is your Ammonia level? If you haven't already, invest in a liquid reagent test kit, my fav is the API. Are his gills red? How big is the tank? Did you not have a filter on the tank previously?

I agree, check the gills. If they are red or a darker shae than they should be, you might have a case of ammonia poisoning.

Also in addition to the questions asked, what size tank are you dealing with? FWIW ammonia reducers and filters do not remove ammonia, but they can give you false readings. I would start with answering the questions, and doing a pwc of 50% with dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom