Sick Flame Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgibbs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Flame Gourami that I have had for about a year now purchased from Petsmart. I originally bought two and eventually had to separate them due to the one I am writing about becoming very thin because of bulling by the other. He has been isolated with an algae eater as the only fish on his side of the tank. About 2 weeks ago he looked like he was coming down with Dropsy. I treated the tank and the scales went back to normal. However, he still didn't like quite normal. He has continued to eat up until the beginning of this week. He has started swimming erratically, sideways, upside down and most recently laying on the bottom of the tank. He still seems alert and stimulated by food but does not seem to be able to get to the food as easily. I feed TetraMin Tropical Crisps. I have not done any water checks lately :( but I do do 25% water change weekly. I cannot see any physical signs that would indicate a type of disease or issue. I originally treated the tank with Tatra Fungus Guard and API General Cure. Other fish in the take seem to be fine (1 Flame gourami and 2 barbs.

The tank size is 10 gal. The filtration is a Penguin Bio wheel 100.

I am unsure of what steps to take next. All help will be appreciated. Photo attached.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpg
    IMG_4273.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 98
Dwarf gourami iridovirus. Seems all my gourami end up getting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do believe the above comment is correct.

DGIV is quite common in species of dwarf gourami. It's genetic and harmless to other fish that are not gourami species. Sadly though, there is no known cure to the disease. It was created through excessive inbreeding of the dwarf species to achieve the nice colors we see today with the disease as a negative creation as well. He has done well to last a year. I've had a gourami twice and both have since died in a couple months.

Very sorry.

Caleb

Oh wow. Thank you! This is very sad news. But I am glad to know that I am not doing something that is harming the fish!
Thank you for your responses!

Oh wow. Thank you! This is very sad news. But I am glad to know that I am not doing something that is harming the fish!

If you want him to go painlessly, a bath in clove oil is a fast, effective remedy.

Caleb

If you like gouramis try honey gouramis :) they don't get DGIV

Thank you Caleb! Is there any other ways of doing it in a humane way? I do not have any clove oil on hand.

Also, Thank you agfish12! I am looking up Honey Gouramis now!

Thank you Caleb! Is there any other ways of doing it in a humane way? I do not have any clove oil on hand.

Also, Thank you agfish12! I am looking up Honey Gouramis now!

Drop him in a bag of freezing cold water. Fish very weak like this are usually out instantly.

Caleb

Put them in the freezer in a cup of water works as well

Put them in the freezer in a cup of water works as well

As someone who did this, you don't want to do this!(RIP Senegal bichir) You want the water to already be ice cold or else it's like putting you in the freezer to slowly freeze to death..

Caleb

Thank you both for your help! My Gourami has crossed the rainbow bridge peacefully. No more suffering.

Back
Top Bottom