sick gold fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greatsoccerman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a sick black gold fish it has white spots. It's not ich tho I know what that is and its eyes are cloudy. The white spots look I guess like cotton in a way.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Your fish is a black moor. What size tank is he in and what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? Moors eyes are very sensitive to their water quality- their eyes are burned very easily by the presence of ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. How long have his eyes looked like this?

Greatsoccerman said:
I have a sick black gold fish it has white spots. It's not ich tho I know what that is and its eyes are cloudy. The white spots look I guess like cotton in a way.

I would say do an immediate partial water change with tap water and Prime. You can use another conditioner but Prime is my fav.

Test your water ASAP and post results.

Is this a new tank or new fish ??
and as has been asked how big is the tank and are there other fish ???

His eyes have looked like that for a few days.I did a water change today so we shall see the results soon. He is about 4" in a ten gallon. There was a tank cleaning due to bba so the good bacteria has not had time to set in.

Do you have an API fw master test kit? If you dont, you should invest in one as soon as possible. Until you are able to monitor your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate, you should do 50% water changes daily with temperature matched, conditioned water. He is suffering from toxic water conditions in too small of a tank & his eyes are being burned. Fancies need atleast 20gallons for the first fish, 10gal for each fish after. Healthy water should be enough to clear his eyes if they are not infected.

Greatsoccerman said:
His eyes have looked like that for a few days.I did a water change today so we shall see the results soon. He is about 4" in a ten gallon. There was a tank cleaning due to bba so the good bacteria has not had time to set in.

Poor fish. A 10g is much too small. GF are poop machines. They need large tanks and extra filtration. For a single Fancy type GF I'd suggest at least a 20g or larger tank. Get a filter rated for 40-50g at least double the tank size.

If this is a temporary hospital tank you'll need a second filter and perhaps daily partial water changes. Make sure your Ammonia is Zero.

Back
Top Bottom