Sick Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruceanthony

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend is new to keeping fish and she set up a new 10 gallon tank with 3 goldfish in December. I'm pretty sure she didn't cycle the tank properly, but anyway, one of the fish has started turning black and looks terrible. (I attached a pic.) I'm not a goldfish guy, but I thought it might be ammonia burns. Can anyone give me a more accurate diagnosis and/or tips on how she should proceed? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391653144327.jpg
    1391653144327.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 82
The only way to cure this is a way bigger, cycled tank there are no goldfish that can live in a 10 gallon tank let alone 3 in an uncycled one.

It certainly looks like some type of burning from toxicity.

The poor little guy!!

The problem is the tank is why too small for the number of goldfish your friend has. I would have thought at min 40 gallons straight away, and probably 60 gallons when (and if they grow).

The goldfish also need frequent large water changes. My tank is cycled and I have a hefty filter, but still need to do 60% water changes 3-4 times a week (at the moment because it is so hot down here).

I have a friend with the exact same size tank with two goldfish. Hers aren't sick but incredibly stunted, and in fact, I'm sure one is shrinking rather than growing (if that is possible). She won't listen to me about getting a larger tank. Do you think your friend will take your advice?

Hope you can help the little fellows.

Ps I should have also mentioned that it looks like the plants in the tank are fake. Getting live plants would certainly help improve water quality.

Further, I think I read somewhere that fish can see colour. I'm sure they find natural colours more restful. Could it be possible the hot pink gravel could be contributing to their stress? I know a colour like that on my walls or floors would do my head in. It is only a theory.

Back
Top Bottom