Sick goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crystalbettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one comet goldfish in my tropical community tank, which i know is not ideal but how he ended up there is a long story. he's probably 3 or 4 inches long now, in a heated tank that's roughly 40 gallons. he's been in my tropical tank for nearly a year now and is usually my most active fish.

about three days ago i noticed his mouth was red and puffy. it almost looked like he'd had an allergic reaction to something, although logically that doesn't make much sense. i wondered if maybe he injured himself on something or one of the other fish got him, although all of my fish are significantly smaller than him other than my antisocial catfish.

At first he didn't seem very affected by it so i waited to see if it would go away on its own. but over the past couple of days it just got worse. his mouth is much more swollen now and this morning he was just sitting in the bottom corner of the tank. i didn't even see his gills moving until i tapped on the glass. i gave him some sinking fish pellets and that perked him up for a while but he still seemed off.

i eventually quarantined him in a 10 gallon tank (the water was heated, as i had to move a betta out of that and into a smaller one for the time being, but the water's cooled down to room temp now). i know goldfish are cold water fish so could the warm water have possibly weaker his immune system?

once he was quarantined i added some tetra brand fungus cure because i had it in the house and i figured that was a good start since i have no idea what it is.

if anyone can identify what's wrong with him please let me know, and if you have any ideas or tips on what to do with him to prevent this from happening again feel more than welcome to reply.

Attachments

• IMG_7137.JPG
    IMG_7137.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 50
If it's mouth rot you can try peroxide swabs directly to the mouth, but if it's gone too far his mouth will literally rot away and he'll starve to death. Clean clean water is vital right now, and even that may not be enough :/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it's mouth rot you can try peroxide swabs directly to the mouth, but if it's gone too far his mouth will literally rot away and he'll starve to death. Clean clean water is vital right now, and even that may not be enough :/

this may be an odd question, but how on earth do you swab a fish's mouth?

Usually you wet the swab/qtip with solution, either net or hold the fish in your hand, and swab the area briefly or if you can keep their gills in the water while you do it you can do it a little longer

Back
Top Bottom