Sick Goldfish - Floats to the top!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crick127

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Fantail Goldfish in a 20 Gallon Tank. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <20, PH 7.0. The tank has been up and running for almost two years. He has had the tank for himself for about two months. He is still small, about 2-3 inches.

Yesterday he was just laying in a corner of the fishtank. Today it seems he can't stay stationary in one place. If I feed him, he swims fine to the food. If he tries to stay still, he starts floating upside down, floats to the top than freaks out and goes down. He does not seem to be floating right. Anyone have any idea what this may be?

Only thing that has been done to the tank recently is the usual weekly water change last Friday.

Thanks!

Crap! That link describes exactly what my fish is doing. I guess I will try some of those suggestions and see if there is any improvement. Thanks.

Your welcome. Try the peas first. They often work wonders. Take the skins off and then smoosh them up a bit.

This is more in depth discussion of the problem:
Swim Bladder/Flip Over

Most common is gut problem due to improper food causing gas in the gut. Try simple solution firsts - ie feeding peas & veggies to clean out the gut, & prevent future problems by feeding sinking pellets & lots of veggies. Epsom salt is the next line of treatment for gut problems.

If those don't work, then you have to consider other causes, including internal infections & parasites.

Thanks guys. Good info. I think he may be sucking up a lot of air. Every day when I feed him, just when I open the hood he is already freaking out sucking at the top waiting for the food to drop in. Greedy little punk :) I think I will fast him for a couple of days and then just feed some peas for a few days and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom