Sick goldfish help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdciii28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have four goldfish and a pleco in a 29 gallon. I won three of the goldfish at the fair two years ago (a Sarasa Comet, a white Common and a orange Comet) and one is a store bought Shubunkin. The orange Comet has very suddenly become ill. I swear he was fine yesterday. I came home from work today and he is lethargic and rests on the bottom for a while and then he zips around the the tank and then settles down again. There is a kind of thin white film on most of his main body and he has a couple small tears in his tailfin. He also has his fins tucked most of the time. The white film is not spotted so I do not think it is ick. I tested the water and the PH is a little low but ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are perfect. I have done a large water change and cleaned the tank because the tank was due for a cleaning anyway. I have also added some aquarium salt and some Melafix. Is there anything else I can/should do? I considered quarantining him but I wonder if that might be too stressful for him at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How often do you do a water change? How much? White film sounds like excess slime coat, and there can be a couple of causes of that.
What exactly are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

Also, that tank is too small for those fish. :( One goldfish needs 15 gallons to itself, and each other after that needs an additional 10 gallons. If the pleco you have is a common, he can grow up to 2 feet.

Back
Top Bottom