Sick goldie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 25gal tank with 3 goldies and a pleco. One of the goldfish seems rather lethargic - he keeps his dorsal and anal fins close to his body and just kind of lolls around the tank. He also seems to have a greying of his scales. I did a 50% WC to as a first step - anyone have further suggestions.

Sadly, you guys were much faster than I was. Goldie left this mortal coil at ~9:30 CDT - godspeed little guy.

In an effort to find meaning in his loss, here is the data:
NH3 = .25
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 40
pH = 7.2 (stable for past month or so)
hard = 75 (down from 150 a month ago)
temp = 74 F
and I've had him for about 8 months. I must confess some serious reservations about these test results - my 2 other tanks tested basically the same. Damn dip tests! I vow to never dip again!

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm afraid I can't offer much assistance for your cause. Ammonia should be at 0 ppm. Perhaps you could have the lfs test your parameters to confirm your findings?

Could have been the ammonia. The fact that you are still showing ammonia after 8 months could mean varying ammonia levels inbetween water changes. Perhaps getting quite high, and then lower again. Either that, or you aren't cleaning your tank enough, and are building up a lot of ammonia. It burns gills, making breathing (and thus moving) difficult, and can result in the lethargy you experienced. Sorry for your fish.

I just purchased an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit so maybe I can get more accurate results. As far as ammonia levels, is it really possible to have an incomplete cycle after so long? I do 25% WCs weekly, sometimes 50% so I feel like the tank is clean. I know goldfish are dirty but still. And the fact that the other tanks readings are so similar... Well, I'm gonna go play with the new chemistry set - I'll let you know what the results are. Thanks for all the help though...

Ok, here are the final AP results:

pH = 7.6/8.0
NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 80 (kinda difficult to read)

Is this level way too high? I do have a bit of an algae build up....

Thanks again.

Your nitrates are high, yes...but not exactly enough to kill. The reason I mentioned an incomplete cycle before is because you mentioned that you had ammonia in your tank. In a cycled tank, ammonia should rarely, if ever, show up... Barring a death, etc.

Back
Top Bottom