Sick Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisharefriends84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Dwarf Gourami is very ill. He is usually moderately active and now he is pale and extremely listless. He seems to have trouble swimming to the surface during feeding time as well. None of my other fish (5 diamond tetras and 8 neon tetras) seem to have been affected by whatever is ailing him. Could he have a swim bladder disorder? I'm really concerned because he looks like he's in terrible shape. I'm open to any other ideas that anyone may have.

*Additional Info
Right now my water parameters are a little worse than I thought. My nitrate levels are way too high (10mg/L), my pH is about 6.4, my nitrites are at 0 and my ammonia is .25 mg/L. I just did a 15% water change yesterday, but I'm going to do another one tonight to see if it helps bring things back down (or up in the case of the pH) As far as the fish's physical condition, he is not showing any change in appearance outside of coloration. He is pretty pale right now. I'm not sure if it is Gourami Disease because I've had him for about a year and he has been healthy up to this point. He has been showing symptoms for a couple of days now. I hope this info helps. Thanks all!

Last edited:
What size tank is it in? What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) Dwarf Gouramis are bad stock right now they have known problems with disease (Dwarf Gourami Disease).

Other than parameters like Razor said, how old is he/she? Is it eating? It is true that DG disease is back but that may not be the case here. Some more information would help... any physical issues? Scratches? Sunken eyes? Cloudy eyes? Scales lifted (looks like a pinecone)?

Basically anything out of the ordinary would be helpful. How long has the fish been showing symptoms? We should be able to narrow it down for you if we have some more information.

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom