Sick gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexwm125

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had my dwarf gourami for over a year now and for the past few days he hasn't been acting right. He just sits in the corner all the way at the bottom, all day. He's very lethargic except when I feed. And he seems really bloated just today.

Just put him in my quarantine tank.
Hope I can help him out! He's one of my favorites!

Main tank params::

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Here's a pic, starvin marvin
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423681841.476701.jpg

I love my fish!!!

Temp: 78 if that helps any? /:
And his color seems faded especially in his face.
I sometimes get nitrite readings but not for a while now.

I love my fish!!!

Sorry about your gourami man, I have one of my own. They're beautiful. I heard there was this disease that only they get. Research Dwarf Gourami Disease

Sorry about your gourami man, I have one of my own. They're beautiful. I heard there was this disease that only they get. Research Dwarf Gourami Disease

Being as he has had it over a year I would say that's not what it is. Not going to rule it out though. Bloating can be a sign of many things but why not start with something simple that can happen to any fish? Constipation. I had a goldfish that got really bloated from constipation. Fed him some shelled peas and let him fast for a while and he was fine.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Very sadly looks to be the case. And my female is in the very early stages of showing symptoms too. :( is there any way to fix it? Or is it too late? From what I read it sounds bad. But I've had them for over a year so why were they fine until now?

I hate to say euthanization but if they are seeking to get worse and worse is there a painless way to do it?

I love my fish!!!

All of my other fish are fine! And now that I look at the female she seems perfectly healthy.

I love my fish!!!

Lol he could just be constipated? I was frantically searching because I thought all of my fish could catch it. Ugh.

I love my fish!!!

Lol he could just be constipated? I was frantically searching because I thought all of my fish could catch it. Ugh.

I love my fish!!!

It's just a suggestion I wouldn't rule other things out. Try feeding him some washed, shelled peas and see how he does. If that's not what it is, you gave him some dinner anyway no harm done.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

It's just a suggestion I wouldn't rule other things out. Try feeding him some washed, shelled peas and see how he does. If that's not what it is, you gave him some dinner anyway no harm done.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

All they had at the store was frozen peas. Can I boil them then just squeeze them or what?

I love my fish!!!

Thank you! Giving him peas now. Is there any time limit on how long it will take to work? 24hrs? A few days?

I love my fish!!!

You can make it last up to a week

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Oddly it might have passed or something. I just checked on him and he's a lot more active. Still a little bloated though. I think I'm on the right track, glad I might not lose him.

I love my fish!!!

He's all better. Thank you for the answers!, even though it was a simple solution!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423877530.264217.jpg

I love my fish!!!

Awesome! He looks great

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Back
Top Bottom