Sick Guppies from Wal-Mart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byrdman81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having serious issues with some guppies i bought from a local Wal-Mart. I now see where I bought them was the first mistake, one I won't make again.

All but one died this week , the last one today. The gills are swollen like big ballons and the mouth is just wide open.

I need to know if this is something bad I could have done or if it's just their fish.

I went back to wal-mart to exchange them out and I get to the tanks that were full of colorful life 2 days ago to see 20 dead guppies with about 4 live ones.

I'm so outraged about this, I won't even get started on the other fish. I go to the manager about this and he tells me it must be my water conditions.

:x What a joke I had it tested at petsmart they said it's great.

My big fear now is my other fish, I don't have a separate tank to place new fish in so I placed them with the others. So far all others are fine.

Someone really needs to give wal-mart a clue, the idiots they have working in the pet dept. certainly don't have one.

I'm sorry for ranting on but i'm so upset and worried for my other fish. Please offer up any advise you may have on what caused the deaths of these beautiful fish.

Thanks

sounds like gill flukes or bacterial gill disease on the fish with the swollen gills. You should add salt to the tank (1 tblsp/gallon over the course of a day) and might think of adding fluke medication

you like saying that to people dont you dr_girlfriend :mrgreen: thats dunny every time a fish is sick

Add some salt 1 tblspn/gal

add more salt

just a question do you put alotta salt on food LOL!

Hello,

I was hoping it was over before I got up to read this today.
My beautiful male betta is dead now. Gills were not as bad but flared out real big and floating this morning.

I have a product I forgot I had bought called parasite killer. It says it works for flukes and others. I'll try that, the salt thing sounds like a lot I have a 35 gallon tank for these guys. thats 35 tblspns, maybe it's not a lot I don't know.

Well thanks for any advise you guys have I really want to save my DoJo Loach now that my other favorite is gone.

I've had my salt water tank running now two years no problems, I get this freshwater off the ground and it is crashing hard. I'm confused I thought they would be easier. :(

Back
Top Bottom