Sick guppy 2nd time in 2 weeks, what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I feel I am loosing another guppy. In the photo, guppy #2 seems to be going pale and behind where I tried to indicate an 'arrow,' it is growing a slow cone-like growth/pointy bump. The other guppy had this too - slowly going pale and growing that from behind. I looked it up and it's some kind of infection that the female guppies get after giving birth too many time. I got this one in September and I did see her with fry, but none really survived. She is one of 5 female guppies I had. The guppy on the left I had about a month and I don't believe she had fry.

I bought this hoping it will help. Has anyone used it? And can it go directly in the tank along the other fish? I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this disease.

Attachments

• sick.jpg
    sick.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 29
  • pima.jpg
    pima.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 50
I'm not very familiar with guppys, so I don't really know the issue, but I know meds a little better. Pimafix and melafix are made to be added directly to the tank per dosing instructions on the bottle. They are more of an antiseptic tho, generally by the time you see symptoms, it's hard to knock it out with those. They might help tho, and can be used in conjunction with other Api meds and each other

Re:

Thanks for your reply. So you think I could add this directly in the tank along with all the other healthy fish?

Just did it, added according to dosage recommendations and it foamed the water. The carbon is out. I turned off the air pump because it made the foam worse. I hope this doesn't kill the healthy ones at least. It says apply daily for 7 days then 25% water change. Here's hoping...

Yeah, it'll make the water cloudy, foamy for awhile, and smell like essential oils, lol. I've used it tons. It's pretty low key meds

Interesting on Amazon's website, the comments said not to use, it's useless and killed 20 percent of his fish. My balloon mollies suddenly just went to a corner. I'm really nervous now.

Yeah, I've read those reviews too. I wonder tho how many of them had fish die from the illness they were treating, not from that med. I use it in my quarantine tanks irregardless of if I see any issues. On all my fish

So researching the internet, I have concluded that the problem is 'dropsy' and it's incurable. It's a dragged out disease that apparently is most like due to overfeeding. I suppose with the fry in there, I am guilty of this. I feed just a pinch and up to 3 x daily. I will cut it to only once, hoping those fry will somehow get food too. I can't afford to keep losing these fish.

Back
Top Bottom