Sick Guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crystalab9305

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It’s betweenn his dorsal and tail fin and it looks like his guts are falling out. He may look horrible but he’s behaving normally.
I know I need to treat the water but with what?
3B5558BE-841E-4F33-9051-5AFF9B59327A.jpg

It’s the only guppy that I have noticed thus far (but I’m checking them about every 5 minutes anyway)
170 gal with about 16 guppies, 2 clown plecos and about 13 peppers. Water parameters are where they should be. 30% WC every wk.
My only thought could be that a pleco got ahold of him (?)
Thanks,
Crystal

For me the picture is a little blurry. It appears to be an injury. Do you have a smaller tank to use as a hospital tank? Lots of clean water will be needed to heal. Your 170 gallon will be hard to do that with

Lots of water changes! I might even use a little methyl blue

I second methyl blue but in the meantime I would dose aquarium salt. 1 TEAspoon per 5 gallons of water for the first week. Double the dose after the first week. You can continue this with the methyl blue when you get it.

Stores are open today ��
I see that methyl blue comes with differing %’s. Is the recommended one 23%? Recommended dosage 1 tsp per gallon?
I don’t think the stores carry the methyl blue so hubby can still get me the salt.
Fishy is still well but lonely... I think he misses his tank mates

I bought mine from foster and smith. Not sure of the concentration

Lonely for a week to heal is a better price to pay then the alternative

LFS have stuff called Melafix. Is this methyl blue?
I’m way north of Edmonton Alberta so LFS are limited to Petsmart or Petland. Both carry this melafix.

Melafix is not something I would recommend. To me it is close to snake oil. Good clean water with good food will go a long way.

How much sun light you guys get this time of year?

Hubby couldn’t get melafix (out of stock) and the Kordon product is not available to us Canucks so salt and WC it is

Okay, just so I’m getting my math right, I am dosing the QT but I also want to dose the 170 g tank with salt.
The label says TBSP but everything I read online days TSP. So using 2tsp/ gal equals 340 tsp which equals 7 cups?? That seems a bit much...
I am having so many issues with sand substrate so I will be removing that today and adding gravel. It is gravel that I have used over the years mixed with some new to get proper coverage. I have this decor that we call Pride Rock ( kids lol) that I drilled some holes into. This will also be added to the tank. I have Hydor Pro 600 that pumps 345g/hr but I think it is inefficient at adding O2 to the tank (no fishies gasping at the top tho)
Water parameters are excellent but turned cloudy after one cleaning and WC. I do believe sand got into the filter. This the second time this has happened thus the permanent removal of sand. Some of the fishes fins have a black tinge to the edges thus me wanting to dose with aquarium salt.

1 TEAspoon per 5 gallons of water to start with.

If you have good surface agitation you will generally have good oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom