Sick hatchet!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
K so i cam home and saw one hatchet hanging at the top o the tank, when they usually dont, his mouth was pointed up and to the top of the water. None of the other fiah are doing this. Im waiting for the test results. Backround, 40g planted, opperating for several months. I cycled the tank too..should i put him in our empty 10g? Also cycled. He is currently doing backflips and its freaking me out. They dont eat much because they dont hang atthe top much and dont see the food..HELP!!!!

None of them do, they hang together in the middle area! Now i cant find him.. The readings are
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5-10
Ph-7.5ish
I even did a water change yesterday..i dont understand

Yes im sure here are some pictures...
Them in the middle, then a sortof close up..hes dead now though so it doesnt matter much..

Any ideas why he might have died though??? Water was good, he didnt have nipped fins but was missing a scale or 2

Don't move them. Silver Hatchets are fairly temperamental. If you recently added a bunch of them only losing one is a pretty good show. If over the next few days they don't start hanging out in the top water I'd get worried. Also hatchets don't eat a lot of flake food. If you look at them they are tiny tiny fish, very slim. They just don't need to eat much even though they look like a larger fish.

posleen103 said:
Don't move them. Silver Hatchets are fairly temperamental. If you recently added a bunch of them only losing one is a pretty good show. If over the next few days they don't start hanging out in the top water I'd get worried. Also hatchets don't eat a lot of flake food. If you look at them they are tiny tiny fish, very slim. They just don't need to eat much even though they look like a larger fish.

Ok, i also feed bloodworms and pellets twice a week, do they eat after im gone? And they have never really hung out at the top. Only one, the smallest one, hangs out at the top. How could i reduce the stress if there is any? How could i help them?

Bloodworms my guys love, pellets they ignore. Do you have any plants on the surface? Mine love to cruise under the duckweed I keep in mine. Other then that once they adjust they seem to be fine.

posleen103 said:
Bloodworms my guys love, pellets they ignore. Do you have any plants on the surface? Mine love to cruise under the duckweed I keep in mine. Other then that once they adjust they seem to be fine.

Yes. I have hornwort growing all over the surface. Bloodworms twice a week. I have their natural home mimicked and they work act natural. Any ideas how i could help

So any reasons why my hatchets wont stay at the top? And how to get them to eat more?

Silver hatchets don't hug the top quite as much as marbled hatchets, but they do stay in the top 1/3rd of the water right? And as for eating more... look at them head on. There really really skinny fish. I expect a cardinal tetra and a hatchet fish to eat about the same.

posleen103 said:
Silver hatchets don't hug the top quite as much as marbled hatchets, but they do stay in the top 1/3rd of the water right? And as for eating more... look at them head on. There really really skinny fish. I expect a cardinal tetra and a hatchet fish to eat about the same.

Thanks for the help!!! Haha ya i can only see a little sliver when i look head on so your totally right!! But sometimes they hang by the gravel, and other times they are in the top part but never at the way top...kinda weird...

Well the hatchets are hangin out by the top more and eating..so good!!

Good, aren't they pretty? I"ve found that hatchets seem pretty delicate moving water, but once there acclimated they tend to be good. Fortunately my LFS and I both use well water from the same aquifer which helps a lot.

Haha ya theyr great looking..but now im treating for ich...the problems never stop haha

Back
Top Bottom