Sick/Injured Betta, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this guy last night, he was all good. Went to take new pictures tonight, and I couldn't find him. After a few minutes of frantic searching, he kinda swam out and I could see an injury and he's really struggling. Put him in the cup for ease of viewing...
I know the pictures are terrible but basically:
It's the weird thing on top of his head
Lethargy
Trouble swimming
Trouble staying upright
Tank is a heated, cycled, filtered 5.5g. Thinking raising the temp and putting some Epsom salt in there would be a good start. I've also turned the filter off for now until I can figure out how to baffle the flow... It's just blowing him around. It's an aqua tech 5-15. Can switch to a sponge filter if need be.

Attachments

• image-2256561528.jpg
    image-2256561528.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 96
  • image-176569352.jpg
    image-176569352.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3248936302.jpg
    image-3248936302.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1541961435.jpg
    image-1541961435.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 123
Sorry that he died :( I hate the conditions that bettas are kept in at fish stores... I almost bought a whole new tank set up the other day just to rescue a beautiful one from pet smart.

One thing to note; epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate. Good to use for a fish laxative but not much else for treating external issues.

This was him, he was cute. Good to know about the Epsom salt, thanks.

Attachments

• image-3356343502.jpg
    image-3356343502.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 91
This is the other one I got.

Attachments

• image-3958787170.jpg
    image-3958787170.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2932528748.jpg
    image-2932528748.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 83
Sorry for your loss but the orange one is georgeous

It's a wonder they survive at all, they are stored in aweful conditions, last night I went to my pet supply for some melafix and happened by the bettas, 3 of them were flipping out in the cups, clearly nitrite poisoning, really sad to see..

Ok I think something is wrong in this tank. Another fish has died (number three) when it was just swimming around a little bit ago. They don't show any signs on their body, swimming fine, then dropping dead. Two guppies and 1 betta. The guppies are new from Sunday, betta has been in there for months. Guppies must have brought something in. Any ideas?? I can't loose this whole tank! I have so much going on with my health I don't need this. I know I need to QT new fish but I'm not allowed to set one up :(

Ok I think something is wrong in this tank. Another fish has died (number three) when it was just swimming around a little bit ago. They don't show any signs on their body, swimming fine, then dropping dead. Two guppies and 1 betta. The guppies are new from Sunday, betta has been in there for months. Guppies must have brought something in. Any ideas?? I can't loose this whole tank! I have so much going on with my health I don't need this. I know I need to QT new fish but I'm not allowed to set one up :(

Is there any possibility of contamination?

I'm going to loose this whole tank. Another guppy, a honey gourami, and a handful of cardinal tetras have died. That, and what else has died, is half the tank.

I would try starting with a saltwater dip. That will help against most parasites, fungus, and some bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom