Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2018, 02:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick/injured sword tail

Hi I noticed yesterday one of my sword tails mouth area looks almost rotted, I have it in a breeder tank at the moment as it looked like it was struggling alittle to swim and I wanted to keep an eye on it. Could anyone give me advice in what it is and what I should do, I'll post some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_183919.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	306879   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_183909.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	306880  

Old 02-04-2018, 02:29 AM   #2

I can put more photos up if needed, I put some tonic salt in the tank as a precaution as I'm really not sure where to go with treatments

Old 02-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That looks like columnaris.
The mouth rot type.
Clean water and maybe a little salt may help...
Keep an eye on your other fish..
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like mouth fungus.I'd put him in something and treat him.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

Should I treat whole tank and what would you recommend for treatment? I'm so worried now, but really appreciate your advice
Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Whole tank IMO..
There is a big difference between fungus and columnaris..Mostly the treatment and survival rate..
Salt first [I am not the salt guy so I don't hand out this advice lightly.].Next read this ..You are likely strain 3 or 4...
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrBT7...vHxhplzvXmj2E-
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've seen fish that have survived infections similar to that before. The disease eats the flesh leaving a gaping hole where the mouth used to be. The fish spends the rest of his life struggling to eat. It's difficult to watch. IMO it's better to euthanize the fish then sanitize the tank by either a super cleaning (big WC, gravel vac) and / or a treatment of salt and meds as noted above.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #8

How transferable is it to the other fish? I'll have to go to the pet shop And find a medication, The tank is double filtered (canister and over the top) will I need to clean or change any of the filter media? I havnt had a chance to read the article yet but I will in daylight hours, I havnt had much sleep I'm so worried now. I have 4 tanks but this one has mostly really hard fish to find in nz And it's taken me a long time to find and get this tank thriving so I'm very shocked and sad that this has happend. I'll definitely consider euthanize but will give it a few days while I do more research, thanks all for the help I was so stumped about what was wrong and how it happened but I thought it just could have just been in a fight with one of the other fish.. naivety on my part
Old 02-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Relax, things will level out. Nobody can tell for sure how contagious the noted disease is, but the longer you keep the poor fish in the tank, chances for an outbreak increase.
Personally, my first move would not be to medicate, it would be: remove the fish, super clean the tank, then closely watch for additional infections. Chances are there wouldn't be.
The growth could be a fungus, eating the dead flesh on the mouth, possibly an injury resulting from a fight, or as CB noted, a Bacterial / Columnaris infection. One thing is sure, if the fish survives, it will be minus a mouth. The tissue damage is irreversable.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #10

I will look into euthanizing the fish (I havnt done it before) from what you said about the tissue damage it's just cruel for the fish long term regardless if I get rid of the problem. Thank you all for your help and advice, I'm going to have a busy day ahead sorting the tank out but it's nice to know there's help on here!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squigley View Post
I will look into euthanizing the fish (I havnt done it before) from what you said about the tissue damage it's just cruel for the fish long term regardless if I get rid of the problem. Thank you all for your help and advice, I'm going to have a busy day ahead sorting the tank out but it's nice to know there's help on here!
Get a bowl of ice, let the water trickle over it to make it ice cold make sure there's plenty of water , put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to make sure it's super cold (don't let it ice over) take fish out and put him/her in the bowl of ice water fish will pass fast, it's not going to feel good too do this but it's the humane way.

On a good note I've had this happen to a barb and no other fish got infected my fish looked like a zombie missing its whole top lip.

Are you water parameters prestine?

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-20
Old 02-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could use clove oil, it will knock the fish out humanely , in a seperate container put in enough for the fish to lose consciousness then put in more to kill it. IMO its the most humane way.

Tags
ick, injured, red, sick, sword, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com