Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

sick keyhole cichlid

One of my five keyholes is sick. Labored breathing, sluggish, staying in one place long periods of time. He now is getting clamped fins. Does anyone know what it could be and the best way to treat it. I've done a 50 percent water change so far and used eurythromicin.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

move him to quarentine if you can to keep the others from getting whatever he has.

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
What size tank and what are your parameters? The symptoms you are describing can be for a variety of illnesses. I would test the parameters and keep doing water changes if anything is out of whack. Also you could try increasing the aeration in the tank and see if that helps.

Does he have any external signs of illness not mentioned?

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

zagz All the parameters are good except for one you mentioned that which I have not checked yet, oxygen levels. Going to check now. I do have a suspicion that is the problem. The tank is a 30 extra high filled with two huge amazon swords. Maybe it's possible oxygen levels are getting too low in the evening hours? If so do you think an airstone might be of help? I forgot to mention his scales were a extending outward a bit.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I would add an airstone as a precaution. If the scales are sticking out like a pinecone it might be dropsy.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cichlid, ich, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com