Sick koi angels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoxieIV

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a long established community tank that is in good shape as far as nitrates, Ph. I have a 55 gal. tank that is planted. Last week I added 6 young koi angels from a month long quarantine. That we're doing fine, eating well, etc. Last night I noticed one down on the bottom on its side. I supported it in the net,but it died overnight. Now the remaining fish are showing the only noticeable symptom, keeping their tail fins clamped closed. Only one of the five remaining isn't clamping its tail. All of them are still cruising around and eating. The others in the tank seem fine (list is on my profile). Water temp is 75* I'm planning on a partial water change tonight once I'm out of work. I'll try for 30%. Any advice is appreciated. I've had angels in the past without problem.

image-3441284921.jpg

This is what the clamped fin angels look like. The ammonia level was at 0.5- 1 ppm prior to the 25% weather change.

They are probably stressed, angels do that when stressed, give them a day or two and it should be fine

raise the temp to 80. keep lights off for a while. pm if i can help i breed and sell angels

Thanks for the advice. I have turned the lights off and the temp up. It will probably take at least 24 hours for the temp to get to 80*. How long is a while? Is it until I see the fish relax? I haven't lost any since that first one & the rest of the tank is acting naturally including the angels.

Tonight I came home and another of the angels had died. No marks or any outward signs of anything. This one was sucked up against the filter inlet. When I had left the house 5 hours prior all had seemed ok. I'm still leaving the lights off & am increasing the temperature. They are all smallish, young fish, maybe nickel size bodies.

Back
Top Bottom