Sick koi anyone tell me what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyskoi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Treated for fin rot,parasites and used an anti internal bacteria but its spreading and geting worse. Hes in a qt tank has been for weeks now why being treated

image-56600974.jpg

image-56600974.jpg

Is the QT cycled? Make sure you keep the water as clean as possible. He is probably going to need antibiotics. I'm not experience with them (can't get them here) so hopefully someone else will step in with a suggestion.

Hi again! We really need to know your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate), the size of the qt tank, & what you have you used to treat so far. If the water quality is unhealthy, no amount of meds is going to help him. Some more info will help!

Hes just in a little one foot tank hes only about 3 inches. When i first got him i noticed a red spot on his back fin and another one had a red gill so i spoke to the fella i bought him off and he said he dident want the fish back. So i put them in that tank and treated with fin rot which had no effect the redness got worse and the one with a red gill started to rot away looked terrible asif something was eating it so i tryd a parasite treatment which again had no effect. I then tryed an anti internal bacteria treatment and that did nothink. 3 weeks later the one with a bad gill whent in to shock fliped out and died. So know im left with this one and the tail is geting worse i think its just a matter of time till he dies now.

I really have to suspect the possibility of ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning causing the redness in the gills/fins & the finrot in his tail (and the other fishes demise). Start changing 50% of his water daily with temperature matched & conditioned water until you get your test kit & you can monitor your water yourself. I do not know where you reside-some countries are very strict on fish meds so i can not recommend anything without knowing what you have access to. He will need to be treated with antibiotics & lots of healthy water.

I'm with jlk on this. Stop beating around the bush and answer his questions. Poor little guy, I'm surprised he's still kicking. Koi in tanks never ends well either, regardless of size.

What are you on about koikid?? I have answered every question that i can why i wait for my water testing kit!! And if you read whats been said you will realise that he was sick when i got him and i was told by the fella i bought him off that he dident want it back!! I have spent over £20 on different treatments for this fish when the fish only cost me £3!! So dont you dare try talking to me asif i am doing something wrong!! Get your facts right!!!

Umm, I stand by my statement. Don't you dare try talking to me as if I wasn't trying to help. You obviously have more problems with your koi than I do, but you seem to know what you're doing so, have fun.

Yeh because the way you put that comment really sounded helpfull to me dident it!

Folks, lets step back before this gets ugly.

There is a sticky note about posting in this forum. It simply states:

Before posting about unhealthy fish, read this!
Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

If you do not yet have any test kits, please take a water sample to a local fish store and ask them to perform the tests and write down the numbers.

Then you can post all the information here so that people can try to help.

Also, please let us know if you have been following the advice given by jlk to do 50% water changes every day (as directed).

Thank you and good luck with your koi.

Just an update to let you know that he died thismorning ? kinda happy for him in a way because he looked a mess and it cant of been nice for him i was actualy thinking about puting him out of his missery yesterday.

Yeah, you should buy a test kit. Will help a lot more with your fish friends

Back
Top Bottom