Sick mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonesaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I apologize if this is long-winded and ridiculous.
I'm new here and have realized how terrible of a fish owner i've been... We've got a 60 gallon that up until recently we had a tetra 40 gal HOB filter and, brace yourselves, an undergravel filter. I don't know what we were thinking and how misinformed we were. Don't judge... So I took some water to work to test (I'm a dog groomer at Petsmart) and they told me my water had crazy high ammonia and pH and pretty much everything else sucked. I took out the UGF ( SUPER gross!!!) and did a 50% wc. The next day I did another 50% wc and put on a top fin 40 gal HOB, so now i have 2, which I know still isn't enough, but I'm probably going to get a canister filter soonish.
I got a api test kit, and have been doing 25% wcs every 2-3 days. Today before my 25% wc my pH was at 8.4, ammo .25' trites 0, trates 20. So not good, but nowhere near as terrible as it was.
In my tank I have a10" pleco, 2 red minor tetras(I know not enough, but i'm not buying any more friends until this is sorted out), 4 glofish, 3 cremesicle mollies and 7 dalmation mollies. Tetras seem fine. 2 of my glofish have red gills, acting normal. 2 of my cremesicle mollies have white spots (doesn't look like ich) on their fins, one of which started hanging out at the top today with clamped fins. One of my dalmation mollies who was born here, has always looked a little off, she's kind of funny shaped, has been hanging out on the bottom. Also, one dalmation is super pregnant, and refuses to pop.
Again, sorry for the long ridiculous story. Should I treat with something (I have on hand pimafix and melafix)? Should I wait until my water is in order? Should I stop writing?
Thank you for reading and for any advice I get.

I would say avoid chemicals, keep doing your water changes as you are. What temp is your tank at? The pleco will eventually need a new home since he can grow to 2ft+. If the white spots look like sand on your fishy you have ich. If that's the case increase temp to 86 degrees and leave it there for 2 weeks after you notice the last white spots gone.

As for everything else your progressing on the right path so don't beat yourself up over it

The heater is set to around 80, and my thermometer seems to be stuck at 70, so I'm getting a new one tomorrow. The white spots don't look like sand, they're more transparent and don't stick out at all. I'm hoping to eventually get a bigger tank, Ringo the pleco deserves it, the only thing in my way is convincing the husband. If at all possible i'd like to keep the fish that was able to make the trip from Idaho to Illinois while camping.
Thank you very much.

Thank you! They are all looking a lot better, just the one dalmation molly hangs out at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom