Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sick Molly at Bottom of Tank

Hi All!

I have seen a few posts pertaining to this, but I wanted to ask more specific questions. I have had my tank set up for about 2 months. I started with an overstocking issue and an in-fish tank cycle. Originally, I had six mollies and one Chinese algae eater in a 10-gallon tank. I now know that this was not large enough. Two of my Mollies end up dying from ammonia poisioning over a month ago and I now have four Mollies, and the one algae eater. I have a hang on back filter, a sponge filter, a heater, two buildings, and three fake plants. When the tank was still cycling, I did water changes every other day. I now test the water every other day and do changes as needed, usually every 4/5 days at 20-30%. Water levels are currently at ammonia: 0, nitrites/nitrates: 0, ph: 7.6. They have been good for the past two weeks. However, I just had one of my Mollies exhibit sickly behavior just like the ones with the ammonia poisoning. He is sitting on the bottom, fins clamped. However, sometimes he will have spurts of energy and swim around. it's been like this for about 2 days and I did a water change yesterday, even though all of the levels were perfect. I try to vaccum monthly. He has been eating normally until today when he just sits at the bottom, minus the little bit of swimming here and there. I can tell he is end of life, but does anyone have any insight to what this could be with good water parameters? I assume it may just be leftover ammonia poisoning from the cycling, but it's just strange that he exhibited symptoms so late out of nowhere... I also want to avoid this with the rest of the fish in the tank. I ended up buying prazipro just in case something popped up while there were all the spikes with the tank cycling earlier. Anyway, let me know! I added a picture of our limp friend, Stinson. Thanks much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16101464967867047159597395379161.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	319214  

Old 01-08-2021, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I’d suggest you get a bigger tank as they could be fighting and your algae eater will grow to large for the tank eventually also it could be that there’s a lot of poo in the gravel i have algae eaters and have to vacuum weekly too keep it clean

Old 01-09-2021, 05:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ammonia poisoning can take a while to manifest into sypmtoms. Just because you are on top of your water parameters now doesnt mean that the ammonia from a few weeks or months ago didnt cause medium or long term health issues.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
Ammonia poisoning can take a while to manifest into sypmtoms. Just because you are on top of your water parameters now doesnt mean that the ammonia from a few weeks or months ago didnt cause medium or long term health issues.
Do you guys have any tips? Stinson passed away last night and now my 2 females are exhibiting similar behavior on and off. Their fins aren't clamped at least. Not sure what else to do other than keep them comfy if they too pass from the poisioning. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210109_205846619.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	319230
Old 01-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basicwitchcoley View Post
Do you guys have any tips? Stinson passed away last night and now my 2 females are exhibiting similar behavior on and off. Their fins aren't clamped at least. Not sure what else to do other than keep them comfy if they too pass from the poisioning. Attachment 319230
Could it be the filter is not strong enough for your tank? I'm still new at this myself and I was told to always upgrade to a better filter if you buy an aquarium with a filter. My 20 gallon, I upgraded to a filter for up to 40 gallons. Not sure if this helps. But the suggestions made that ammonia could be lingering problem sounds quite valid. Maybe do more water changes and condition the water.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did the issue show up after a water change?

Try to increase your dechlorinator, if so. I lost a few fish when my water company did a chlorine spike as a routine maintenance thing. Ammonia poisoning and low level chlorine poisonings can look similar.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybelle View Post
Did the issue show up after a water change?

Try to increase your dechlorinator, if so. I lost a few fish when my water company did a chlorine spike as a routine maintenance thing. Ammonia poisoning and low level chlorine poisonings can look similar.
No, it wasn't after a water change but will keep this in mind. I actually just did a water change with some prazipro because one of the mollies had white/stringy poop. All 3 mollies are still alive. Hoping this is the final step.

Tags
ammonia, bottom, ick, molly, parasite, sick, sick molly, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com