Sick Mystery Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought 4 Mystery Snails a few weeks ago (I know they'll most likely multiply like mad). One of the has already died and I think another is on it's way out. It comes almost completely out of it's shell (or so it appears) and then it kind of topples over on it's side. If I tap the glass or shake the tank it'll slowly suck itself back in. These are my first snails so I don't know if this is normal behavior, though I'm assuming it's not since this would clearly make them more vulnerable to predators. Is there anything I can do?

Apple snails can come out of the shell quite a bit, but what you are describing may be mantle collapse ... that unfortunately is not treatable.

pick up the snail & look at the opening (might have to do that before the trapdoor closes completely.) There should be no space between the body (mantle) & the shell. If there is a big gap, that is mantle collapse. I would remove the snail in case it is contagious.

Go to applesnail.net for more info.

Back
Top Bottom