Sick Mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I did a WC I'm my 5.5 gallon. My snail was at the top corner.
When I slowly started to siphon the water out I didn't see the snail In the corner top till I saw it fall. Now he has been in the same position since yesterday morning. Upside down with part of his body out.

Is he dead?

Yesterday I did a WC I'm my 5.5 gallon. My snail was at the top corner.
When I slowly started to siphon the water out I didn't see the snail In the corner top till I saw it fall. Now he has been in the same position since yesterday morning. Upside down with part of his body out.

Is he dead?

Pick him up and sniff him if he's dead he'll have an awful smell coming from him. You can also touch his foot and see if he moves.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay. I'll try that right now?
If he is dead what could have caused it?

Okay. I'll try that right now?
If he is dead what could have caused it?

Where your parameters ok before your pwc? Have you had him long? I don't think you've done anything I've bumped my snail's by accident when cleaning and they fell off the glass and just got up and walked away.

Yeah they were at the regular

0 ammonia 0 nitrite and .5 nitrate

I was just doing weekly changes.

Well I'm going to see if he's dead or just playing dead.

Okay so he smells like water not smelly. And when I poke him he doesn't move?

Okay so he smells like water not smelly. And when I poke him he doesn't move?

Strange he's not moving i wonder if he's just not started to smell? I would keep an eye on him. Does he share his tank? If he does maybe move him to a separate tank or even a tub incase he does die you wouldn't want him fouling up your water. Or just keep an eye on him. Good luck :)

Strange he's not moving i wonder if he's just not started to smell? I would keep an eye on him. Does he share his tank? If he does maybe move him to a separate tank or even a tub incase he does die you wouldn't want him fouling up your water. Or just keep an eye on him. Good luck :)

So I think he's alive. He's not in the same spot anymore and I didn't move him. :)
Yay! ?

Yeah he probably got super scared of that drop and needed a few days to relax.

My snail once again stopped moving. It's been about 4 days.
Last I saw him was on a plant eating and enjoying his time.

Then a few hours later he was on the sand and has not moved since.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if he still alive or not.

Hopefully it'll be ok, some snails do stop moving for a few days. Let me know how things are.

Hopefully it'll be ok, some snails do stop moving for a few days. Let me know how things are.

So he's alive. I couldn't find him in his usual spot when I thought he died. He's strange snail. But he's ALIVE :)

I have 2 mystery snails, and they are weird things. They will have bursts of activity and zoom around the tank, and then they will spend a day or so in the same general spot. I was convinced one of them was dead one time in the evening, but I didn't want it to just disappear overnight for my daughter's sake, so I left it in the tank with the intention of telling my daughter in the morning he had passed so she could see him at least. Like, the snail hadn't moved in days. Didn't respond when I tapped on his foot. Then the next morning, he was up on the glass, licking away like nothing was ever wrong. I think snails are much harder to read than fish because their behavior seems unpredictable to begin with.

I guess the whole thing of the snail not moving doesn't bugg me, but I'm worried if it's dead it might foul my water and i don't want a stinky bedroom.

So my snail finally died. He stated at a spot for another couple if days. Then out of nowhere he began to float. I still thought it was normal, but then I saw some nasty gooeey white stuff around it and when I got it out it was dissolving in my net. So gross. It smelled really bad too

Sorry to hear that :(
The smell is awful it's so strong!

Back
Top Bottom