Sick Neon Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feeshy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20g tank with 4 neons, 5 sharpea, and 2 ghost shrimp. All of my fish are doing well except 1 neon. He has very labored breathing and very lethargic. No physical signs except becoming more dull, no spots no ich nothing of that sort. I have checked all of my water levels ie Nitrate, Nitrite, Amonia, PH, Temp and all were within normal limits. This fish has been fine for 4 months and just recently looks sick. I have in my QT tank but I don't know how to treat him and get him feeling better. Any Suggestion?

What are your exact parameters and what are you using to test? Water change schedule? How long have you had the fish in question? Any other symptoms (flashing, lack appetite, red spots or streaks, fuzziness, strange/stringy waste, etc)? Some more info will help us to help you better!

I have an API liquid test kit, which does individual tests of Nitrate, Nitrite, Amonia, PH.
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0-.25
Amonia-0
PH- 7.8

I have had these fish in this tank since December 2012. Only one neon fish has labored breathing, lethargic, and losing color.

No other symptoms or signs.

Perhaps the nitrite is affecting him but the symptoms are so vague that is honestly difficult to say exactly what it could be. Keep him qt'd for now and keep his water very healthy. I would try adding a low dose of salt and see if this improves his breathing. I would start with 1tsp/5g. This can be increased up to 3tsp/5g if it seems to help. If this doesnt help in the next 2 days, we can try additional meds.

Thanks for giving me something to try. I will definitly try the salt, and keep an eye on him. I am doing daily water changes on the QT tank.

So far my neon has been qt'd for five days. Still breathing fast but looks like it's less labored. Not sure if the salt helped or not. Not a ton of improvement as for the general appearance still not vibrant in color. Plus he has not been eating. Any other ideas to help him recover?

Back
Top Bottom