Sick neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lipticlear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sick Neon Tetras
Looking for some advice about some sick neon tetras that I have. I set up a 33 gallon aquarium back in September. I did a fishless cycle using ammonia. I added daily once the ammonia disappeared. Eventually the nitrites dropped to zero so I did a large water change and got the nitrate down to 10. I then introduced 10 neon tetras. That was about a week and a half ago. Levels have remained at ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and I have kept the nitrate below 40 with water changes. Really the nitrate hasn't gotten much above 20.

I introduced 3 Siamese algae eaters 3 days ago. They are super energetic (awesome fish). So two days ago, I woke up to see one of the neons gasping for breath at the top of the tank. I did a 30% water change but it didn't help and he died about an hour later. All levels where good, water temp of 78. The only level that is a little off is my PH. My tap water has a ph of 7.6. The water in the tank stays at this level so it is not bouncing around. The neons were not wild, they were from a breeder apparently and bought at big al's in oakville.

Anyway, I now have another one gasping at the top of the tank again. I doubt that oxygen is the issue, I am using an aquaclear 50 HOB filter with a second aquaclear 30 just to add some additional water movement. None of the other fish appear to be gasping at all. The SAE's never go to the surface so oxygen is not the issue.

Anyone have any insights into whatthe issue could be? Maybe neons tetra disease? Is it the high ph? If so, can anything be done about the ph as that is what my tap water is. Should I avoid neons in future? Any help wouldnbe appreiciated. Cheers. Mike

Neons although people say are easy are quite tricky to get right. They like a tank that is planted a bit and has been cycled thourghly.
Keep doing water changes and hope!

Back
Top Bottom