Sick Neon Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewTanker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, I really need some help here please! I had recently posted about a sick cory cat that I had, and now I think we have sick neons. For a brief overview, my son and I started our tank back in December. It is a 10 gallon planted tank with dirt and gravel substrate. We did a fishless cycle that went wonderfully and then waited almost a week before adding fish. We started with 8 neon tetras, then waited a week before adding 2 pepper corys. We had since added two RCS, a Malina cory, and a Metae cory (which we were told was a panda cory). We added a nerite snail about a month or so ago to help with some brown algae.

The tank has been great. Water has been clear and clean and the fish and plants had been doing wonderfully. I posted last week because our metae cory was acting weird. He wasn't eating and he was not swimming much. After of few days of continued odd behavior (and water testing and a 50% water change) the cory died. I removed him from the tank and did another 50% water change. This morning the tank looked nice and clear again. I fed the fish and was pleased to see that everyone was eating and swimming around. Then, as I watched the fish really closely, I noticed that 2 of the neons have sort of white tints and the edged of their tail fins. At first I thought maybe they just always looked like that and I just didn't notice. However, as I continued watching, I noticed that one of them has a large bubble looking thing on the front of its face by its mouth. Another one has something similar, just not as large. They are still eating, but something is definitely wrong!

I have no idea what to do! I don't want all of the fish to get sick, please help!

OK, I really need some help here please! I had recently posted about a sick cory cat that I had, and now I think we have sick neons. For a brief overview, my son and I started our tank back in December. It is a 10 gallon planted tank with dirt and gravel substrate. We did a fishless cycle that went wonderfully and then waited almost a week before adding fish. We started with 8 neon tetras, then waited a week before adding 2 pepper corys. We had since added two RCS, a Malina cory, and a Metae cory (which we were told was a panda cory). We added a nerite snail about a month or so ago to help with some brown algae.

The tank has been great. Water has been clear and clean and the fish and plants had been doing wonderfully. I posted last week because our metae cory was acting weird. He wasn't eating and he was not swimming much. After of few days of continued odd behavior (and water testing and a 50% water change) the cory died. I removed him from the tank and did another 50% water change. This morning the tank looked nice and clear again. I fed the fish and was pleased to see that everyone was eating and swimming around. Then, as I watched the fish really closely, I noticed that 2 of the neons have sort of white tints and the edged of their tail fins. At first I thought maybe they just always looked like that and I just didn't notice. However, as I continued watching, I noticed that one of them has a large bubble looking thing on the front of its face by its mouth. Another one has something similar, just not as large. They are still eating, but something is definitely wrong!

I have no idea what to do! I don't want all of the fish to get sick, please help!

Did you check your water parameters?
Could I see some pics? Could it be ick? Or neon tetra disease?

Yes, I tested the water and everything is great. I am new at this, so I have not experienced ick or neon tetra disease. I am not at home right now, but it looks like a white bubble on the side if it's mouth. At first I thought it picked up a piece if gravel, but when it didn't come off I knew something was wrong. I read some other forums where people had something similar and suggested it could be a fungus, is that possible?

Any ideas how to handle that? Can I get rid of it? I'm worried it will spread to the others

Any ideas how to handle that? Can I get rid of it? I'm worried it will spread to the others

There is always a cure for every disease, for example..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399221621.989421.jpg

You could take a pic and show it to some staff at a fish shop, they could better diagnose it if you are that unsure.

If you do end up with having to treat the tank, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS OF THE MEDS.

Well I read a lot of different forums with people having the same issues where the fungal medication didn't work and the fish died. I have not read any posts where it worked. I am willing to try anything, but I wonder if I should maybe put the ones with the issue in a different tank. I would have to get one, just not sure if it is safe to cycle it with something from my current tank since there seems to be an issue.

So, hopefully it isn't this, but I suggest you look into columnaris and see if that fits.
If you happen to have another tank, it is usually a good idea to instantly separate any sick looking fish.
It doesn't fit any of the symptoms for ich. Fungus is a possibility, but the presence at the mouth seems more indicative of columnaris (which is bacterial, not fungal).
Aquarium Fish Disease Columnaris - Flexibacter columnaris

So, hopefully it isn't this, but I suggest you look into columnaris and see if that fits.
If you happen to have another tank, it is usually a good idea to instantly separate any sick looking fish.
It doesn't fit any of the symptoms for ich. Fungus is a possibility, but the presence at the mouth seems more indicative of columnaris (which is bacterial, not fungal).
Aquarium Fish Disease Columnaris - Flexibacter columnaris

There it is! The name was on the tip of my tongue!

I'm not sure that's it. I looked it up and it describes a lot of skin issues and restless behavior. Mine look normal other than the bubble in their face and act and eat like the rest.

I got a medication from the LFS that is supposed to treat bacterial and fungal issues. Let's hope this helps!! I have also turned the heat up to 80 degrees.

I got a medication from the LFS that is supposed to treat bacterial and fungal issues. Let's hope this helps!! I have also turned the heat up to 80 degrees.

Well, keep in mind that the identifying mark of columnaris is generally the face lesions, not the behavioral parts. All symptoms are variable, especially behavioral ones.
What medication did you get? Hopefully it works, and feel free to ask if you have more questions.

The medication is Marineland All-in-one. It says to put 2 tablets in every day for 5 days. I am on the 5th day, but I'm not seeing any improvement. The fish still all act normal (swimming around and eating), but the "bubble" things are not going away. I'm not sure it will work, but I don't know what else to do.

I finished the meds, replaced the carbon filter, and did a PWC. Again, everything looks the same, but the fish still swim and eat normally. Any suggestions??

I finished the meds, replaced the carbon filter, and did a PWC. Again, everything looks the same, but the fish still swim and eat normally. Any suggestions??

I'm not sure if it treats that or not. Is there medicine specifically for columnaris?

Triple sulpha may work.

Also Nitrofurazone (Furan-2) and Kanamycin (Kanaplex) are for treating gram negative bacteria.

Temps below 25C or 77F will slow it down.

Salt in QT may help.

Edit - I would QT if you can. I've tried a dose of fungal treatment first just in case (or if you have both) and then treatments for columnaris. Melafix and pimafix I've had no luck with these.

Last edited:
I was reading online where someone said not to use nitrofurazone with shrimp. I do have two RCS in the tank,do you know if the triple sulfa is ok to use?

Back
Top Bottom