Sick neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, one of the neons I bought today has lockjaw, but theres a few more that seem either bloated, pregnant, or sick otherwise. I'm getting pictures right now, but I don't know what a pregnant neon would look like soo. I'll try to keep the pictures as big as possible.

15nx1rk.jpg

3tr0p.jpg

Btw, sorry for the blurryness, but its hard to focus since they're moving. I took out the lockjaw neon, but considering I just put them into the tank, they are acting pretty healthy, and I'm not sure if this kind of bloat would be contagious.

One last thing. It seems that there is one neon in particular that is chasing/nipping the "fatter" neons. Considering neons' normally peaceful nature, this is a good sign isn't it?

One last last thing. I just fed the guys, paying special attention to the "fatter" ones, and it seems that they are eating okay, so would this be the case of indigestion or just overeating?

Although it is possible that it might have complications (too blurry to tell) but usually sickened fish tend to shy away from food and colors should besomewhat not as bright as your fish.. Thus will just monitor them. It could also be that this maybe female ready to spawn. It is also commomn to see neons nip each other.
What are your water parameters such as pH, Ammonia (NH3), Nitrite (NO2)?

My test kit expired awhile ago, and I still need to buy a new one. My tank is cycled, and the bloated neons were the ones I bought today, so my params should be irrelevant. My main concern is that it is something contagious, but I'm thinking the odds are slim, since the closest disease I can think of is dropsy, and their scales aren't sticking out. I'll try to get some better pics.

I also fed them some frozen/nuked peas, which they nibbled at a little bit, so pics will be up in like 10 mins.

That neon definately does not look normal. It does look like the beginning of dropsy. Keep an eye out for those scales sticking out.

I'll keep an eye out, and if they start acting weird, I'll put it in quarantine.

Also, how would a neon look with indigestion/after gorging themselves/being "pregnant"?

That fat Neon is very probably pregnant, they look like little whales when they're pregnant. You should take her out either way (in case it is dropsy), put her in an empty bowl (so if she drops the eggs you'll be able to see them).

Also the boy Neon's nip at the girls to keep their attention away from eating their eggs. It's weird that they're doing it before they dropped the eggs, unless they already did. Neon eggs are extremely tiny and see-thru.

If she were to drop eggs, wouldn't there need to be a male to fertilize them?

I've been reading about the "little whales" and I still don't really understand what it means..

I'm pretty sure there has to be a breeding male around in order for her to produce the eggs in the first place. Then they stay together until they spawn.

Joining in on the thread. Odd timing, my 6 show some similar issues over the last week. Two are fairly swollen. Others are showing some inflammation? at the tip of the tail adjacent to the caudal fin. One actually seems to have swelling damage there as well. I was wondering if they were just getting old? How long are individuals expected to do well? Life expectancy?

There are rummy nosed, danios, cories, ottos and harelquins in the 30 long with them, but they aren't showing any similar signs.

tank is at 74 F, KH is up to about 6 degrees, nitrates hardly over zero. pH was high end of 7.

no scales are lifting so I don't think dropsy. I've changed out about 10% of the water so far and will do another tomorrow, I think.

I think my neons might have just had indigestion, because the "swelling" or whatever went away. I'd watch out for em because something like this could blow up, or they could just be like mine. Also pics could help for some sort of confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom