Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sick or injured goldfish

My son wanted to try fish. We picked a couple goldfish out and noticed this one had a wound on the drive home. After trying to research online, we decided to move him into a separate bowl. It has six cups of water, 1 1/2 tsps of salt, 1 drop of methylene blue. We used distilled water. There isnít a sponge or filter, heís literally just in a glass bowl.
We are completely new at this and bought a test kit that will test everything but that is for the big tank and Iím just trying to figure out what to do with this one. Our plan from here was to put him back in with the others at feeding time and do the same salt dip tomorrow.
Is this a good plan? What should I actually be doing? Is this an injury or disease or parasite? I thought it was an injury, then maybe red spot then maybe some type of worm. So, I clearly have a handle on this. Any tips appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F70D8843-9DE9-4182-9362-8D2594B503A6.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	321878   Click image for larger version

Name:	B441C3C8-9FC7-4EF1-B690-E234B06150FD.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	321879  

Old 09-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Maybe a tumour or ulcer?

Im assuming you are US based? If so not much point in me suggesting medication as you will have access to better medication than we do in the UK. Look for something to treat skin conditions.

Out of interest how big is your main tank? Goldfish get very big, are very messy and need big tanks.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, US based.
Ya, our tank is going to be waaaaaay too small. We got five goldies, my son says they are comet, and we have a 10 gallon tank. I guess this is a huge rookie mistake. Maybe we’ll make the outdoor pond we’ve considered for years ��
Old 09-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Probably a 75 to 100 gallon tank minimum for those fish as a permanent home, with a filter rated for double that. They will outgrow a 10 gallon very quickly. I would also say cycling a 10 gallon tank with that much bioload is going to be very difficult. You may be into daily water changes to keep the water safe in the short term.

How about returning the goldfish and getting something more suited to a 10 gallon tank?
Old 09-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am 99% sure the pet store does not take returns on fish but it could be worth looking into
Old 09-25-2021, 07:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbrady View Post
I am 99% sure the pet store does not take returns on fish but it could be worth looking into
They shouldnt be selling you fish without ensuring you can properly care for them first. Did you get the tank and other equipment all from the same place? They have some responsibility here.

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, ick, injured, red, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com