sick oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

queenb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 5'' oranda looks like a pinecone. His scales are ruffed up and he is hiding on the bottom of the tank. I saw my placo chasing him last night trying to suck on him. I removed the placo right away.
I placed the sick oranda in a 4 gallon backet and put 1,5 teasppon of sea salt and a bubbler in the water. I gave him some antibacterial food,some chopped garlic and green peace and he ate everything. He is swimming around but still looks like a pinecone. Maybe the placo sucked away his slime coat and made him sick. Dont really know why ...........
Any adwise what els i can do for my fishy

please help maryanne

Unfortunately with dropsy there is little hope. Do water changes on the bucket every day to keep the water quality up (ideally get him in something like a ten gallon with a filter). Add more salt. The only time that full blown dropsy has a chance is with a lot of salt. The problem is that the body has too much water in it. The kidneys are likely infected and can't pump water back out of the body. You can treat with meds but without reducing the difference in salinities inside and outside the body there is almost no chance. the body's tissues and fluids hold a lot of salt, you need a lot of salt in the water to decrease the difference, thus reducing the amount of water going into the body.

He really isn't swollen. He is the same size as before, its just that his scales are ruffed up. Could it be something else beside dropsy.
Should I do the salt bath?

The protruding scales is caused by excess fluids (water) in the skin. As the skin swells up the scales point outward rather than lying smooth along the skin. It is still dropsy.

Dropsy is very rarely cured. :( I just lost a fish I had for a year to it. You can try salt and anti-parasitic food if you want. I ended up putting mine down, since he was suffering and wouldn't eat.

Back
Top Bottom