sick oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogansMomma

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two one albino... One pink.... And one tiger. The albino and pink Oscars fins are turning black.... Both acting a lil lazy. Please help. Is this fin rot or ick??

Wait, two fish or three? We will need some more basic info before anyone can give you an answer. What are the parameters of your water? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature? What size is the tank? How long has it been running? Did you cycle the tank? Also, it would really really help if you can post a picture. Fins turning black could be fin rot, ammonia damage, or something else. Seeing the actual fish can help narrow things down. If you don't see little white salt like specks on the fish, it isn't ich though.

EDIT : just saw the pictures you posted. Doesn't really look like fin rot to me, but could be ammonia damage or perhaps just an oddity in the fish's coloration. How old are the fish?

I did post pics. It's a 90 gal tank with three Oscars one tiger one pink and one albino. A red devil and a red spotted golden severum. A bristlenose Pleco and a common pleco. I'm sry my phone has a bad word prediction on it and said two Oscars when I meant three. Temp is at 79° f and all stats are reading normal. All fish seem healthy.... Just the two Oscars are turning black... And being lazy. Water is clear and no drastic changes have been made recently. I do reg 50% water changes once to two times weekly. It's been a week since the last one. The filters are two mainland emperor biowheels together 800 gph. Have two 24" fluorescent bulbs for lighting.

I've had the albino for about three weeks and the pink for two I'm guessing about a two months old. Pink is about 2 1/2inches and albino is about 2 inches

How long has the tank been set up? Also, how do you test your water? Strips or liquid?

Tank has been running for 2 months and I cycled for two weeks before adding any fish..... Please someone help.

I'm asking all of these questions about the water because the dark marks on their fins look a little like ammonia burns. The best thing you can do for the fish is frequent water changes. Try upping your water change schedule and see if they perk up. Their fins may stay black for a while, or even permanently. As these oscars get bigger, they will need a larger tank, partly due to size and aggression, but also because they put out so much waste that the water volume can't dilute it enough. Oscars are very messy fish, and 50 gallons each is the minimum tank size usually recommended. 90 gallons is a large tank, but 3 oscars, 2 plecos, and other large cichlids is much too high of a bioload for it to support in the long term.

I have seen black markings on oscars like that at the LFS, I do not know what causes it , maybe just a coloration while growing but it might be ammonia burn , if more than one oscar got it at the same time it probably is not just a different growout coloration. Red devils will show black coloration while growing, mine had alot of black that came and went. Also those fish will be fine in a 90 until they grow a little more and the red devil might need to be kept by himself one day. Maybe start thinking of another large tank in the near future because you have some amazing fish :)

Thanks guys and yes Im planning on getting a larger tank but figured this would be perfect for now. I'll try upping the water changes. :) they actually seem to be getting lighter than last night so idk. Either way water changes won't hurt.

I already already have two.... Cycling 800 gph. Do I really need another one? And honestly if it were chlorine Burns don't you think my other fish would have it too.

I'm guessing you haven't read the post. I do one to two weekly 50%water changes.

800gph is good, but when you can, maybe upgrade one or both filters and it will be even better. 10x filtration, in your case 900gph for a 90 gallon, is what is usually recommended for messy fish like goldfish and oscars. With multiple oscars, two plecos, and other cichlids, the more filtration the better. It isn't really needed now, but once they get a bit bigger you will want all the help you can get until you get that upgrade. And if it is ammonia burns, it is possible that the damage was done before you got them and you are just noticing it now, or if it was in your tank, perhaps they are just slightly more sensitive than the other fish. Did you cycle fish in, or fishless?

I actually am saving up for a canister filter right now... A fluvel.... But yeah I know Oscars are messy and need it. Love em tho. I plan on keeping the two filters running even when I get the canister filter going. I think I've figured out they are burned. Because I've done 50% water changes every other day since I've noticed and they seem to be fading. I have a new liquid water tester on order because I think mine is testing wrong. I just don't quite understand why my other fish don't have the Burns but it makes since that they might have had it before I got them. They are still really young.

And sry yes I did cycle.... For two weeks fish out then a week with test fish in to building up the Bio.

Are you sure you are fully cycled? It usually takes more than three weeks. Or did you get something to seed the filter with bacteria? Also, as you add more fish, the bioload increases and you need to let the bacteria build up to the level of waste being produced as you add fish.

And it's quite possible also like u said that they are more sensitive the Oscars that have the Burns are both albino.... But one is a pink. So idk. I'll admit that I'm not an expert on this hobby yet but am trying lol. These are my second set of Oscars and hope they live a long and happy life like my old ones. I really do appreciate the advice.

Yeah, not all fish will react the same way to the same level of toxins in the water. As I said, just keep testing and changing the water regularly and they will probably perk up. Their fins may or may not lose the black coloration, but it won't do anymore damage as long as the ammonia isn't still in the water. Oscars are awesome fish, treat them right and they will reward you for it! By the way, when you upgrade, try to hang onto the 90 gallon in case one of the three oscars don't want to play nice when they get older. If you're lucky you might end up with a breeding pair, too!

Back
Top Bottom