Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to wvdeadhead
Sick Oscar...

I have 2 small Oscars and a medium sized Pacu in a 30 gal tank. They have all lived together happily for about 6 months now. All of a sudden, one of my Oscars is starting to develop fin problems that look to be little nibbles taken out. Is it my Pacu doing it, or the other Oscar? When I'm around, they swim together fine, but who knows what happens when I'm gone. Is there anything I can do to catch the culprit or stop it from happening again.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A larger tank is probably the answer. I'm not sure who the culprit is, but just because they get along while you're looking....

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Hey, like menagerie said, your fish are probably getting a little cramped and upset in the small tank. Also, your culprit, IMHO, is probably the oscar... Pacus are actually a pretty peacful fish.... Get a larger tank, a much larger tank if you would like to keep all 3 fishies, and that SHOULD solve your problem, possibly! HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:54 PM   #4

Oscars should probably be housed in at least a 75 gal imo if they're going to be kept until they reach their adult size.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to wvdeadhead
Hey thanks everyone for the comments. A new tank is kinda out of the question now, I'm saving up to get a salt tank set up. I guess I'll have to keep a close eye on them all and if it gets worse, donate my oscars to someone with a larger tank. However, I don't think it is the other oscar causing the damage... my pacu is a little hyper-active and intimidates the others at times. He charges at them if they get too close, but I've never seen him nip at them. So it's really hard to tell.

But again, thanks for the help... if you have anymore suggestions just let me know.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You should consider doing what's best for the fish you already have. Those fish are only going to get bigger, more territorial and will act out with aggression in a tank that size.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, oscar, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com