Sick Oscar...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvdeadhead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 small Oscars and a medium sized Pacu in a 30 gal tank. They have all lived together happily for about 6 months now. All of a sudden, one of my Oscars is starting to develop fin problems that look to be little nibbles taken out. Is it my Pacu doing it, or the other Oscar? When I'm around, they swim together fine, but who knows what happens when I'm gone. Is there anything I can do to catch the culprit or stop it from happening again.

A larger tank is probably the answer. I'm not sure who the culprit is, but just because they get along while you're looking....

Hey, like menagerie said, your fish are probably getting a little cramped and upset in the small tank. Also, your culprit, IMHO, is probably the oscar... Pacus are actually a pretty peacful fish.... Get a larger tank, a much larger tank if you would like to keep all 3 fishies, and that SHOULD solve your problem, possibly! HTH

Oscars should probably be housed in at least a 75 gal imo if they're going to be kept until they reach their adult size.

Hey thanks everyone for the comments. A new tank is kinda out of the question now, I'm saving up to get a salt tank set up. I guess I'll have to keep a close eye on them all and if it gets worse, donate my oscars to someone with a larger tank. However, I don't think it is the other oscar causing the damage... my pacu is a little hyper-active and intimidates the others at times. He charges at them if they get too close, but I've never seen him nip at them. So it's really hard to tell.

But again, thanks for the help... if you have anymore suggestions just let me know.

You should consider doing what's best for the fish you already have. Those fish are only going to get bigger, more territorial and will act out with aggression in a tank that size.

Back
Top Bottom