Sick otto???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Firstly sorry for the poor pictures, one of my ottos has a rather red head and I've noticed today it's eyes are bulging. My parameters are good 0 nitrates 0 ammo and 0 nitrates.
I still have a cloudy water problem but that's probably due to the positioning of the tank.
All other tank mates appear fine ad lively.
Any suggestions??

I'm sorry but I can't see anything in those pictures. They're too dark and not focused.

It does look like a case of pop eye. Google pics of it and see if it matches what you're seeing.

Yeah it could be sorry my ottos hang in the filter and it's dark there!!
Anything I can do to help?? None of my other fish seem affected

I've got interpret anti internal bacteria which says its for Popeye shall I use that?? What about adding salt? I have api aquarium salt but have corys?
Can anything else go wrong with my tank!! Arghhh

Ok no worries. Would a small amount f salt be ok with the ottos and corys or Gould I skip it?

Ok here are some better photos I've come home from the night shift and he seems worse. Really swollen and the gills when looked at from the side very red appear raw. Any help gratefully appreciated. I can't qt the fish and he looks so awful I don't know whether he's suffering :(

Poor little guy. Yeah, I would salt too. Salt is supposed to help equalize the pressure in the eye.
Since its both eyes, it is probably from a bacterial infection or parasite. Does the eye center look cloudy? The bacterial form is easier to fix.
BTW, where did your nitrates go? A cycled tank should typically have some nitrates in it.

Thanks the eyes don't look cloudy. With the salt any idea on dosage and would my corys be ok?? The whol of his body is swollen and he is resembling a very tiny hammerhead shark!! But he's swimming about fine

All I can say about the corys is they should hopefully be ok. Usually corys do ok with limited salt treatment. Honestly, its not a guarantee, but the oto needs it or else his poor little eye could suffer irreparable damage.
Keep an eye on the corys and watch their activity level. As long as they are being active, they should be good. Like I said, they usually do fine during salt treatments. :)

The standard is 1 level tablespoon per 5 gallons. For sensitive species, you want to use half-dose, which would be 1 level tablespoon for 10 gallons. Take some tank water in a cup and dissolve your salt in it. Add the salt to the tank slowly over a period of time.

Sorry one quick question say I was going to add 2 tablespoons, do I mix all that into a cup of tank water then add that a bit at a time and over what period of time.
Or do I just mix a bit of salt at a time with tank water? I'm going away for two days so will need to leave specific instructions for my dad lol!

What you should do then is put 1 teaspoon (per other advice) per 5 gallons into a cup of water. Let it dissolve and have your father add 1/4 cup per day to the tank.

Make sense?

Thanks Lynda that's brilliant I shall get on it now and hopefully the little guy will go back to looking like an otto!!

Thanks for the help guys sadly the little guy didn't make it but I'll still carry on with the treatment to make sure the others are fine

Awwwwww, I'm so sorry. I had an otto with pop eye once and he only lived a day or two after diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom