Sick panda cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

killrsheep

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help me out please! 1488846919449.jpg

My Cory just developed some white fluff on top of his rear top fin and 2 mini holes on his tail

Water parameters seem fine
Nitrates 5 or less
Nitrites 0
amonia 0
Temp 27 Celsius
GH 70
Kh 100
Chlorine 0
Ph 7

I have Tetra lifeguard but I don't know if I can treat the whole tank or if I should isolate the guy
I also have some salt which is labeled for freshwater aquarium veterinarian use and a bottle of seachem stress guard
If I need anything else all I have is a nearby petco (Im.in México so think of an understocked petco) but I think they have antifungal and antiparasitic meds

Tankmates are 10 espei rasboras and another 3 pandas they all seem healthy but I've noticed the rasboras glass surfing and darting a lot since I introduced a new led light system 2 days ago (I just think it's stress)

By the white tuff, it sounds like a fungal infection. Fish can definitely be prone to any illness when they're stressed.
I wouldn't quarantine due to the fact that something like this is VERY contagious and hard to spot on fish with a lot of white, such as panda cories.
There's a medicine I got from Petco called API Fungus Cure. See if it's available to you.
As for the salt, I wouldn't recommend that. Cories don't particularly like it, which would cause more stress, and the benefit would be minimal in this case.

It's most likely the beginning of fin rot, which the fungus will also cause. The fin rot will usually start at the edges of the fins making them look more ragged, but it does create the holes sometimes too.

The guard is merely a preventative; it won't help your fish now.
I don't recognize the Azoo brand at all, but with those being your choices, at least the Azoo product is an actual treatment, and that's what you need.

If your purigen is just bio filtration I would say no. You will have to remove any activated carbon however.

Fish illnesses are very finicky. I wish you and your little panda the best of luck!
:flowers:

Should I remove purigen from my filter? [emoji15]

Yes, Purigen is "chemical filtration" and absorbs impurities in the water much like activated carbon, except allegedly even more so. I would definitely remove the Purigen when using medication, as it will probably remove at least some of the meds from the water.

I'm not an expert on cories but I know that they can be sensitive to medications; Azoo doesn't seem to share the ingredients of their anti fungal tabs so I would err on the side of caution and use a half dose.

Ok guys, here's the update
1489016615336.jpg

I hope resolution is OK, the fluff seems to be getting smaller and even though he is not swimming too much and his tail is a bit "contracted" his breathing seems normal, not to slow and not stress fast, so I think we are on the right track

He seems to be doing better
1489108072376.jpg

The treatment reads 3 days but I am going to carry on a second treatment with a 30% pwc per the bottle instructions, because he still has a bit of white on the right side, but he really gave me a tough time taking the picture he is an active fella [emoji4]

Back
Top Bottom