Sick Parrot cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, My parrot has some sort of infection it seems, hes not too happy. I have searched all over the net trying to find a picture of that this is and cant come up with anything... I have done 3 bottles of API MelaFix and one of PimaFix as recommended by a friend of mine. Really didn't do much..

I think I need a stronger antibiotic maybe..

Can anyone identify what this is and what I could try to treat him with?

Thanks,
Evan

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 55
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 62
Hi! Can you please provide some more info so we can better help you? Tank size? Parameters? Water change schedule? How long the growth has been there? Any other symptoms? Is he qt'd? Thanks!

All parameters are fine. All other fish are fine. He's about 10 years old. He has has this for a few months now and it getting worse so I just want to identify what kind of disease this is.

90 Tall, regular water changes. Water condition is perfect. Not qt'd.

As I said I just want to figure out what this is so I can get the appropriate medication. It dosent look like a anything I've ever seen. Been keeping fish for 20 years. :-/ never seen this.

Oh and I left out this part, it dosent appear to be a growth i dont think. Really it looks kinda like rotten flesh maybe, Little pieces kinda moving a bit in the current sometime pieces fall off.
It's really gross looking.

It looks and sounds like like lymphocystis. Its a viral disease that causes an overgrowth/enlargement of cellular tissue. Its considered 'active' and transmittable when a growth is present. There is no treatment beyond isolating the affected fish and providing stellar care and nutrition and limiting stress. It sounds like your fish's immune system is fighting it and its already is already starting to resolve itself as pieces of it are falling off. Heres a decent article with pics that has some more detailed info:

FA181/FA181: Lymphocystis Disease in Fish

Back
Top Bottom