Sick Pearlscale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clementine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i had recently bought my pearlscale about 2-4 weeks ago, she was healthy swimming around and really seemed to enjoy her new home. but now for the past 5 days or so i have noticed red dots on her side and they keep getting worse and worse. i did a 40% water change,aquarium salt, melafix and nothing seems to help. Even with the rash on her side she had been swimming around and eating normally but today it seems like she is stuggling to swim and her fins are droopy. my 3 other goldfish are completely fine and are showing no symptoms. Any ideas or suggestions would be extrememly appreciated:)

I have a 40-50 gallon tank
1 pearlscale, 1 oranda, 1 moor, and 1 fantail
My oranda and fantail have been in the tank for about a year
Temperature is around 70 F

Here is a picture of clementine http://i44.tinypic.com/4v1yrb.jpg

What are the tank parameters? (ammonia, NO2, etc).

That fish is sick .... prob is infected from the fish store. Those are blood blisters under the scales ... with the symptoms of balance disturbance, it is prob now internal & affecting the swim bladder.

2 possibilities:
parasite - costia will typically give blood spots under the scales
bacteria - pseudomonas or aeromonas most likely.

With the blotch like redness & the other symptoms, a bacterial infection is most likely. This is best treated with an anti-biotic containing food. Ideally, you want something with Kanamycin in it, eg Medi-gold.

External treatment (meds in the water - ie the Melafix) tend not to work in goldfish due to their bulk.

I assume that you did not QT the fish. It is possible that he will infect the tank mates. It is prudent to treat all the fish at this point.

Back
Top Bottom