Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick Platy

For over a month now one of my platies has showed signs of illness. From advice in an earlier thread I started to do 2 x 20% water changes a week and bought a water testing kit but there seems to be no improvement. The platy is flashing, mostly through the day she floats at the waters surface not moving and at night recently has started to lie on the sand. She rarely eats except when I feed bloodworms and is now very skinny. My water testing kit shows pH 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0.1, nitrate 5. Does anyone have any advice for diagnosis? I don't have a hospital tank but i will buy one if i need to treat her separately. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Look It Up

Sorry about your fish. Is she doing any better? It really could be anything. Do you notice white spots that look like salt? Can you post a pic?

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This is a picture from a week or so ago. I can't physically see anything wrong with her at all and I've really looked, i thought her gills were a bit reddened the other day but not sure if I'm trying to see things. The strange thing is there will be an hour or so in the day when she will look fine and swim around with fins unclamped but it never lasts long. I was advised by the pet shop to try aquarium salt but I have two loaches and read that it's bad for scaleless fish.. I'm unsure what to do when I don't know what to treat for. Also there is a Pearl Danio in the tank who also is also flashing a little but shows no other sign of sickness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-38381148.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	51569  

Tags
ick, platy, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com