Sick platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vienolac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is he ok?
Is this typical behavior. He doesn't always do this. Kind of at night, he likes being near the heater... But he seems maybe sick....
Any help would be appreciated

I did just put them all in a new 10 gallon tank. That is starting to cycle I believe

Attachments

• image-3245589536.jpg
    image-3245589536.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 85
Fish will hang bear the surface sometimes when there isn't enough oxygen in the water. What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? What kind of filter are you using? What is the temp?

I'd ask a mod to move to move your thread to freshwater-brackish unhealthy fish..you'll get much more input by posting on the correct section..

They have started a few thread asking the same question in there, just think they keep reporting because no one answers.

The temperature iis around 78 Fahrenheit
And for most of what i know is ok for all the fish I have.

As far as levels, they're currently going through a new tank cycle.
And I have no way of monitoring the levels at this time

Have you changed the water at all since the cycle started? Your going to need to get a test kit so you can monitor your cycle and how far along it is. I suggest the API master test kit. You can find it online for like 20 bucks. But my suggestion is to do a 50% water change make sure you add your dechlorinator when u do it and see how he is acting then.

Well he's actually gotten better, when I started the tank, I used probably about 4 gallons of established tank water, mixed with new water old stuff and some new stuff with new rocks.

It may be a spike of some kind because he doesn't do it all the time and usually he swims around pretty good

I have had this tank set up for maybe 4 days now lol

I am going to look into the test kit.

Tank water won't be where you find the bb you need to help seed the tank..filter media,substrate,plants&other decor accumulate bb in or on their surface..tank water won't help seed the tank...also I reccomend using seachem prime&pretreat temp matched water before adding into the tank..when cleaning the filter siphon out some water from the tank to clean the filter&swish the filter cartride around in it also..NEVER use water straight from the tap untreated to clean anything to do with your tank...+1 to the test kit(dont buy the test strips as they're inaccurate),api liquid test kit is a reliable one which you can find on Amazon.com at a good price...best of luck:)

What is substrate? I have seen it. Be talked about I don't know what it is tho.
And I never clean my filter with anything. But water from my tank.

Substrate is your gravel, sand, etc. it's just a general term for all that stuff.

I see. Yah I used all my old gravel and everything. But I added new gravel too.

He seems to be fine now, amazon is looking like the best source at 19$ compared to petco/smart between 28-32$ lol

I'm gunna call a few local fish stores... That's what lfs stands for right?

Back
Top Bottom