Sick Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agid87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 4 Guppies and two Platy that I purchased a few weeks ago. All of the fish seemed healthy until today. The one that seemed most lively (the Dalmatian Platy), remained in one corner most of the day and wouldn't even come out to eat. Then about an hour ago I noticed it was laying on the bottom of the tank, and I thought it was dead. When I attempted to remove it from the tank it swam away...
I had a breeding tank set up on the side of the aquarium, so I put the Platy in there and fed him. He ate vigorously, and seems to be swimming with more ease in there.

The temp has been at (or around) 72 degrees and the PH is 7.6 (which I read is perfect for livebearing fish). However, this morning I noticed a huge spike in the temperature (86 degrees). It took me a few hours but I finally got the temp back in the 70s. Could the reason for the Platy's odd behavior be due to the rise in temp, or something else?

He has no noticeable spots, I feed all my fish flakes twice a day and bloodworms once a day.

Checked for ammonia?
You actually may be Overfeeding
I feed once a day half a flake per fish.
Are fin wagging friends can go weeks without food really
But they would just get I'll
You could even feed then every other day

Thanks very much for the replies!
I've only tested the PH and it's 7.6. The water temp is around 72-75 at the moment. I do a 50% water change once every 2 weeks, using TopFin dechlorinator. Everything seemed fine until today... I've only lost one fish before this one, but I think he was sick straight from the store.
He seems fine now that he's in the breeder tank, he's eating normally. I only feed them more than once because the two Platy will not eat while the others are eating. Not sure why?

Thanks very much for the replies!
I've only tested the PH and it's 7.6. The water temp is around 72-75 at the moment. I do a 50% water change once every 2 weeks, using TopFin dechlorinator. Everything seemed fine until today... I've only lost one fish before this one, but I think he was sick straight from the store.
He seems fine now that he's in the breeder tank, he's eating normally. I only feed them more than once because the two Platy will not eat while the others are eating. Not sure why?

Got any live plants. These are good when your fish are hungry they can feed whenever they want

Always remember with fish it's actually better to underfeed than Overfeeding

How long has your tank been up? Sound like bad water to me. You need to test water for ammonia and nitrite. If your fish are still alive that is? Do a water change yesterday. As soooon as you can.

Back
Top Bottom