Sick Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmilySmyth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a week ago I noticed my female platy had lost a lot of weight despite eating her normal amount. Then two days ago I noticed that her spine looked curved and she has lost a lot more weight. She also looks less colorful and some of her scales are sticking up. I have put her into a hospital tank and all my fish in my main tank look normal.
The water parameters are absolutely fine (ammonia 0ppm nitrites 0ppm and nitrates less than 10ppm) I feed them fish flakes twice a day and supplement their diet with fresh vegetables blood worms etc.
I'm pretty stumped as to what could be wrong with her and I don't want my other fish to catch whatever she has so if anyone know what could be wrong with her that would be great.
Thanks

About a week ago I noticed my female platy had lost a lot of weight despite eating her normal amount. Then two days ago I noticed that her spine looked curved and she has lost a lot more weight. She also looks less colorful and some of her scales are sticking up. I have put her into a hospital tank and all my fish in my main tank look normal.
The water parameters are absolutely fine (ammonia 0ppm nitrites 0ppm and nitrates less than 10ppm) I feed them fish flakes twice a day and supplement their diet with fresh vegetables blood worms etc.
I'm pretty stumped as to what could be wrong with her and I don't want my other fish to catch whatever she has so if anyone know what could be wrong with her that would be great.
Thanks

Sounds like she may be in early stages of dropsy, when you look down on her are all or the majority if her scales sticky out like a pine cone? How long have you had her? Unfortunately I've not had success in treating a fish who has gotten to dropsy, Epsom salt can help with the fluid retention. Dropsy is the end result of something else & figuring out the initial cause is usually difficult. Does she look bloated? Is her poo normal?

Back
Top Bottom