Sick platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my platys has been hanging out at the top of the tank all day, very still. I don't know if it's because of the water quality that he had to endure during the hurricane, or what. I just got them (6 platys and 1 pictus catfish) on Wednesday, and they're in a 10 gal QT tank.

We were without power for a about 40 hours but I had battery powered air stones in my tanks. All the other fish seem fine. I did a 30% water change yesterday. I just tested, and the parameters are fine: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30.

Should I move him to a hospital tank? What should I do for him? TIA for any advice.

:cry:

Did you have the tank heated? Even though it's warm down there in the sunshine state..that water gets chilly at night time. The cold temps could have stressed him out enought to allow something to move in.
Sorry to hear about the little guy!

Thanks, DT

Trust me, the water didn't get cold. We didn't have power because of the hurricane, so no air conditioning. The water temps stayed at 78. And with no power I wouldn't be able to run a heater even if I had to. Unless there are battery powered heaters? Is there such an animal?

I think we need to get a generator.

Hey CG, that was some little storm huh? We had no power from Friday, when Charley hit until around noon on Sunday. I ran battery powered air pumps too but would have liked them to be a little more powerful. I did some pwc along the way and all my fish were fine.
You're right about the tanks not getting cold. I know lots of folks would have been overjoyed with cooler temps. Florida in August without AC or even a fan is not fun.
I hope you didn't have any damage at your place. We were very lucky here in that respect. Take care.

Thanks, tropicalman, I'm glad you made it through the storm okay. Our neighborhood lost a lot of trees, but there wasn't too much damage to houses. We lost 2 trees and 2 more will have to come down. Our screen enclosure to the patio has a big dent in the roof where limbs came down on it. We also got our power back on Sunday afternoon, so we consider ourselves some of the lucky ones with it out less than 48 hours.

What part of Florida are you from? Are you in Orlando?

LOL, that happens to me sometimes, too.

We live on the southwest side of town, in Dr. Phillips, off Apopka-Vineland Road.

Back
Top Bottom