Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sick platy

Hello,

New to aquariums, have had a 5 gal fluval chi tank for 3 weeks now.
Important to note that I did not know what I was doing and didnít wait to cycle the tank before adding fish, but it is cycled now. I was very careful to monitor all the levels required for my platys and tried to keep the tank conditions healthy while it cycled and did about a B+ job but was learning as I went.

Currently:
Ph:6.5-7
Kh: 80-120ppm
Gh: 150
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Originally had three platys in the tank but one started bullying the other two and drove one of them to hide in the corner and also to stop eating. Removed the bully but the one fish still hides in corner and wonít eat after 4 days. I started adding API Pimafix in case the fish was sick although it didnít show any signs of fungus or bacteria or anything. The fish now moves around more and has more energy but still wonít eat and spends most of its time in the top corners of the tank.

Itís been about 8-9 days and Iíve seen it nibble food maybe twice in total and I feel the fish will die. Iím assuming either being in the tank while it cycled or the bully fish stressed it too much. But the other fish in the tank is happy and active and hungry and went through the same stuff and is doing good (bully fish was looking good too while in the tank). Just looking for advice in general on what to do with sick fish and any tips and tricks for bringing one back.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have live plants in there?

Old 01-24-2021, 10:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes it has some grass and a few small plants
Old 01-24-2021, 10:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh OK, that explains the 0 nitrates since you think it's cycled. As long as your ammonia and nitrites are 0 your good pretty much. There are so many fungal, bacterial and parasitic diseases out there for aquarium fish, it's very hard to diagnose. And often by the time it's possible to, it's progressed to far. That's why most of the fish meds are broad spectrum. I often, mostly to no avail, wind up throwing alot of meds at a sick fish in hopes of hitting on the right one. Not until they pass often do I know what it was, and some times I don't. If you want to try to save the fish, it would be best in a hospital tank or container. Then try a bacterial med 1st
Old 01-24-2021, 10:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The stress from the other fish may have weakened its immune system
Old 01-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok thanks for the advice!

Tags
ick, platy, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com