Sick platy and molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessdc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank:
45 gal- Started 8 months ago
2 Dalmatian mollies
2 cream mollies
1 black molly
4 red wag platys
11 danios
6 tetras
5 neon tetras

Ammonia- 0
Nitrate- 20
Nitrite- 0
GH- 150
Chlorine- 0
KH- 180
pH- 7.8

Our tank has been great for 8 months. A few random casualties in the beginning but very stable for quite awhile. We do 30% water changes every 2-3 weeks. I add calcium to make our mollies happy and we are careful when changing filter media (aware to tank cycling etc). Two weeks ago a red wag platy (no longer with us) started looking like its scales were falling off or losing color. Then it had a crazy spine distortion (looked like an upside down "u" from the side. After a week he died. All the other fish looked normal so we thought it was random. About 5 days later a danio (one of our starter fish) with no symptoms died. I started to worry and test daily. Water continues to be the same. Now I notice the cream mollies are turning lighter. I'm pretty sure losing scales but acting normal. One of the Dalmatian mollies has a bulging eye but acting normal. Behavior wise they are all normal. Nobody is rubbing on hard surfaces and all are swimming/ eating well. I have noticed a non sick molly has been pestering the other Dalmatian molly more than usual but not to extreme. Also, we had mollies with a bulging eye early on but the calcium fixed it. I'm not sure what to do and most "research" I try to do ends up with everyone contradicting each other. Any ideas?? Help would be much appreciated!

I'm sorry I can't help more with the illness, but the easiest comment is that's probably not enough water changes. Though the water parameters are ok there are aspects that don't show on a test, that clean water provides.

Are those nitrate readings just after a water change or before.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom