Sick platy in my community tank? (not sure though)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeaElizabeth423

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is Okay. I have a 50 gallon aquarium. With 4 male guppies 8 female guppies 3 rosy tetras 5 glolight tetras and 1 mickey mouse platy. The platy is not doing good right now at all. He is flashing and mostly stays at the corner of my tank by a fake log. He does come out and swim sporadically and then darts right back to the log. Unless there is food then he eats. My water quality is great. No ammonia, no nitrite, nitrates are at almost 10 but that's still not bad and my pH is at I'd say from my api color chart it is between a 7.0 and a 7.2. All my other fish in the aquarium are fine. I recently had my other mickey mouse platy die from ich but he has very visible white spots and a tagged tail. I treated the tank and not long after treating the tank the fish with ich died. But now, a week later after the other mickey mouse fish died the one that is still alive is acting funny. There is no sign of illness besides the weird stuff he does against rocks and the way he just hides and doesn't move much. But no cloudy eyes, no spots or anything. No ragged tail. I don't know what I'd going on. My fish were not quarantined and most were added at the same time. I have had this tank set up for about a half a year now. I also have a 35 gallon set up with baby guppies. If I can make sure everything is okay I'd like to separate my male and female guppies but I need to get my large tank safe before I start moving any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

http://youtu.be/770hT9nGKkI

Here is a link to a video of how my fish is acting at the bottom of the aquarium and it even shows him swim. The video isn't the best but it's hard to get a good one with a corner aquarium. Any questions just ask. I'll answer them if I can just get some help. I'm at a loss with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

swim bladder problem, try feeding them some green peas. look up swim bladder problems with fish and try to see if it aligns with what your seeing.

Should I heat the pea in the microwave in some water? I have researched many things. I mean the fish comes out to swim and then sometimes just pecks on the plants but then will go nose down back into the spot. I had ich in my tank and treated them and now this platy is doing this a week later and one of my male guppies keeps on hiding too in a stone. There are no visible spots though.

Treated with what? Have you run carbon to remove the meds?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I treated with Marineland all in one since I could not get it verified it was ich. It was not like most pictures I've seen. But it wasn't big white fungus so I'm like 99.7% sure it was ich. And I did put back in the carbon to remove the medication from the water. What i used called for 5 days of treatment and after the 5th day I put carbon back in. Then, the only fish with signs of ich died and a few others that had no signs of it died. It makes no sense why they would just die with no signs though. Literately no strange behavior or anything. All my fish swim around like normal now really except this one platy.

I don't really understand your question/post. You say you had a sick platy, then you just mention that many had signs of ick and you treated with ick.....
In the future, if you see one sick fish in a tank, don't just leave it in there. It will sometimes make your entire tank sick.
Did you use any meds together? Some are ok. to use together, some are not. Did you combine a ick medicine with the "all in one" medicine? Can you give me some ingredients of the medicine you used together? I personally don't have a lot of experience with whitespot....but im sure you can easily find a solution on this forum or google, most people recommend turning up the heat to 86 and adding salt, and doing lots of PWC, personally I would put an ick medicine in the water as well like Malachite or Acriflavin.

I only had one fish with white spots. It died after I treated the tank with all in one. I didn't use any other medication. Just that. All my fish are fine now though. The one that was swimming funny I believe did have a swim bladder problem. I tried to save him but it was a loss. Tried peas, tried the Epsom Salt bath and nothing worked. I lost the fish. All my other fish are doing fine though.

Okay let me rephrase that, one fish had white spots. I treated the tank with all in one remedy. Fish with spots died. Second platy started hiding and sitting at bottom. It too, is now dead. All other fish are acting fine and no spots or anything.

Back
Top Bottom