Sick platy - missing scales, bloating on one side only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

We introduced a hi-fin platy to our 20 gallon tank 5 days ago. At the same time, we added a Dalmatian molly, but chose to return the molly after several days of aggression and nipping caused the platy and another molly to hide and not eat. After returning the molly to our LFS, the behavior improved but the scale issues we are seeing have worsened and the fish is swollen on the one side (please see pics). I am now concerned that this is due some other issue. Can any of you help identify what the issue might be, and next steps to address?

We added a dose of stress coat after removing the aggressive fish.

Yesterday I attempted an epsom salt bath, which didn't seem to do much but was well-tolerated by the fish. He has also been pooping quite a bit. He did eat some of the garlic guard soaked algae wafer that we dropped in yesterday and did eat this morning but is acting more lethargic. As far as I can tell, he is swimming normally.

I am also going to do a water change this afternoon.

Tank info:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
Temp: 76 degrees
Ph: 7.6
Fed Tetra tropical fish flakes, supplement with algae tabs and spinach/peas weekly
2 dwarf gouramies, 2 mollies, 2 hi-fin platys, 2 nerite snails in a planted tank
Aquaclear 30 HOB filter
Tank started October 2019 - added first fish a month later.
Perform a weekly vacuuming of substrate and 25% water change.

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_172713.jpg
    IMG_20200115_172713.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20200115-120648.jpg
    Screenshot_20200115-120648.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom