Sick rainbow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ringoffire

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Australian rainbow fish. Put into quarantine because of constant panting and losing weight. 1st treated tank with salt (no improvement) then started API General cure (metronidazole & praziquantel) once treated with that fish started expelling white worms out of anus. Still not eating.

2~What are your tank parameters 55g fish came out of ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, ph 7.6.
Quarantine tank ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 7.4

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 55 gallon. 4 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Aqueon 30 internal and Fluval 50 hob.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6 cherry barbs
8 emperor tetra
5 various rainbow fish( juvenile)
5 green cory cats
1 oto.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Weekly wc 35-40 %

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Have had fish about 1.5 months

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? New plants added about 2-3 weeks ago.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? No change in diet.

So I am suspecting that it is nematodes. And since from what I have read it is highly contagious. My question is should I return him to the main tank and treat the whole tank? 2 other rainbows possibly seem to be losing weight as well although their behavior is fine. Should I assume that others in the tank are affected as well. And if so what the the best recommended treatment?

General cure is about the easiest parasite treatment around so if you're suspecting that other fish are infected I'd just treat the whole tank.

Back
Top Bottom