Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2005, 03:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sick Ram and Sick Cory

I have a C. julii that has lost his/her whiskers. I know some of them get attacked by the Apistos due to spawning. This one seems a little out of kilter. It still looks for food BUT I don't know if it is finding any because it has not grown like the other (I got 2 to go with the previous 5 a month or so back). I have QT'ed it.

I have a little Ram that I got at the same time. When I first got it, it was fiesty and would defend itself. It looks like it has a red and raw anal vent. When the Rams spawned last I think the larger female bit it. It looks sick and like it is going to die. I QT'ed it too.

I just wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences. Not really looking for advice to treat it coz I can handle that bit.......

Has anyone had corys lose their whiskers? And Has anyone had fish that got a sore rear end? If so, do you know what caused it and did they survive.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've never experienced either of those problems (yet 8O ) but I wanted to say good luck!

Old 05-14-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had a couple cories lose their whiskers. Sometimes they grow back, sometimes they dont. Smooth gravel helps
Old 05-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did have a white cloud with a sore end once! I think it was caused by laying a whole bunch of eggs! (I had just placed them in a spawning tank for 2 days, and there was some heavy egg laying going on) It looked very red and somewhat 'larger' then usual, but she recovered fine after a couple of days.
Never had cories so can't help with that!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the whiskers either got bitten off by the Apistos or a bacterial infection got them.....

Both fish don't look good but using meds will be a scatter gun approach which won't work and cost more than they will help. I am isolating them to observe before guessing a diagnosis.

The gravel is smooth.

The qt is about 4 gals and really is supposed to be a fry tank, but the sick fish will need to be isolated so they don't spread disease. They could catch anything and spread it in their weakend state.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Ram passed on to the big fish tank in the sky......... Does the toilet have a direct connection?

It was emaciated. It's injuries must have caused it to stop eating. Next time I add Rams of the same size to avoid this problem again.

Tags
cory, ick, ram, sick, sick cory

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com