sick ram(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
well, i'm having different problems with 2 of my rams. one of them has just been sitting at the bottom of the substrate for the past week, not getting any better. it looks like premature demise, as i have gone through this with rams before. but the only thing about it is the ram hasn't died yet (which is what happened the last time i've seen these symptoms in a ram). is there any hope for the guy, or should i euthanize? he's been like this for a week

and another ram i have has pop-eye, and i've treated with melafix for the past week and it's not really looking any better. should i continue melafix treatment?

Well I think this is a descision that you need to decide. Obviously you know Rams are sensitive fish. Euthanization is a tough thing that none of us enjoy doing. If I have a gut feeling that there is no chance of recovery I will because I hate to see a fish suffer.

IMO, I would give the one sitting at the bottom time, do more PWC and see if he gets more active. I would have to see a pic. of the other one.

Good Luck

as for the ram with popeye treat with macryn 2 it worked wonders on me and my betta. i know rams are more sensitive, but i stronly reccoment macryn 2.
as for the other one. you could try treating with something for internal parisites or something.
have u seen him eat, poop ? what color is it? anything else besides laying on the bottom to better help u.
i had a fish once who just turned dark no reason. he ended up with a really nasty disease and im still fighting it.
your water parameters?
anything u can tell us to help.

I've had rams that have had similar symptoms. I did daily water changes of 30% for a week and all is well. Pop eye is frequently brought on by water conditions that are less than perfect. Try the extra water changes and see how it goes. Posting your parameters will help.

Back
Top Bottom