Sick Rasbora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bic31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Striped Rasbora that is acting strange. The past two days when I have gone to turn the lights on in the tank I see a Rasbora in the corner, on the bottom, that looks dead. After a while I go back and he is swimming around. He swims erratically and sometimes in circles. What is wrong?
I have a planted 75 gallon tank with a Eheim 3e Filter. I changed the water about five days ago, which I do every two weeks. All of the other fish, 1 Angel, 3 Rainbow, 5 Cherry Barbs and four other Rasbora look healthy. All of my water requirements are normal levels.

It's been in the tank about two years. Nothing has changed. No new plants or new fish.

The other thing is he shakes or wiggles a lot when he swims.

Do you have soft water?

When you do water changes do you use a water dechlorinator/Chloramine and heavy metals neutralizer, (Prime is a great brand)?

When you clean your filter, pads, inside, etc. do you use tank water or treated water or tap water? How often do you change your filter pads?

Do you know about nitrifying bacteria, and BB aka beneficial bacteria or aka the cycle?

If you are using tap water the BB would be killed and you would be starting a new cycle each time it is cleaned or the filter pad is replaced.

I had terrible problems with my tank and changing the filter pads every month or so before I understood the process of the cycle.

This could be from a low pH, but likely from a water condition. I would do a 30-50% water change again and also find out your pH.

It is probably from a stress the fish is having, could be from old age or end of life and the overall health of the fish in general. But clean treated water is always a good start.

Also if you have city/water plant treated water there may be Chloramines in it and they require about double the water treatment drops that the Chlorine only would because it is tougher to break down. So make sure you try double the amount of drops if you have it.

If you need more infor about the BB and the cycle you can click the link in my signature for a start on the info and a easy to understand process.

Thanks for your response. My ph is neutral. The nitrates and ammonia are zero. I do a 20% water change every two weeks. The water I have been using for months is distilled water. I do need to change the filters, they are due. Now it has been three days and this Rasbora has been hanging on. Every morning I go to check the fish, turn the lights on and he is upside down on the bottom. I nudge him and off he goes swimming. He does a lot of wiggling at first then swims fairly normally. This has been the pattern for days. I have given him peas, added some aquarium salt, and withheld food for 24 hours. All the other fish are still fine. I am lost.

Back
Top Bottom