Sick redtail catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nap007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My redtail catfish recently stopping swimming around the tank. He will only stay at the bottom of the tank in the cornor. He has some injury to the top of his head but there is nothing in the tank for him to hit himself on and some did coloring on his stomach. He starts to float sideways and then snaps back

Sorry to hear about your fish,

What kinda of injury does your fish have to his/her head?
Also if the fish tends to swim on its side then this could be swim bladder disease, which is best dealt with earlier than later.

The swim bladder is an internal gas-filled organ that contributes to the ability of a fish to control its buoyancy, the most common cause of swim bladder compression is a distended stomach from rapidly eating, overeating or gulping air.

My comet had this problem last year, all you have to do is give it a few green peas that have there outer shell removed, and depending on the fishes size, cut it in half or quarters.

Also my other common goldfish had a cut on it a few years back and I was told to do lots of water changes and the fish will heal by itself, which worked perfectly for me.

Also does your fish look bloated at all? Or does it struggle the 'hover' or have balancing issues?

Ahh that is such a shame for such a wonderful fish, sorry we could not help you in time.

Back
Top Bottom